La flor de cano by foundry

Started by arrow34, 01/26/2019 09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arrow34

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has tried these, they are a new take(noncuban) of this label.  Foundry has released this with a new band and mix of four long fillers.The 4-country long-filler blend is composed of Dominican, Honduran, Mexican, and Nicaraguan tobaccos.

Cigarpage has three sizes Robustos, Toro's, and Churchill's for a reasonable price for a box.... Anyone tried them?

DonM

This might be a good read, it falls in line with your question......

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=53146.0

"The Curmudgeon"

arrow34

Thanks, I actually agree with that sentament. I was manily curious because it was from foundry cigars and I like a few of there lines.  I don't mind budget cigars, but what I consider a budget cigar is a $5-$6 a cigar I can get for $3 ??.

I tend to have a second cigar that is cheaper sometimes.  Usually start with one that is a premium and move on to something cheaper on winter nights especially. I used to smoke some soso sticks twelve years ago.  So yard gars are out.  I have found plenty of decent sticks for cheap, like the A. Flores Gran Reserva Corojo. Will pass on these due to the unknown.

j04nny8

I get what Curmudgeon is saying although I still look for good smokes that haven't been mainstreamed (or were heroes four-six years past and are phasing out).  But, really, Papas Fritas as a dog rocket?  OK, Drew's production standards have dropped in the Swisher age I guess.  They aren't as tasty as they once might have been.  While we're there, I don't know if anyone has seen any of the 'factory smokes' Drew's putting out?  Any good?  Thought not.  Drew's JDN line had a real good right-price smoke in the Joya Black, but while they still taste good these are becoming a real effort to smoke due to construction issues.

As for the Flor De Cano though.  Like you I saw them at CP and could find no reviews for them.  I bit the bullet last week and ordered a box of toros.  Quite acceptable five dollar cigar for half that.  Matter of fact I ordered a second box this morning.  Those, along with the two offerings from El Primer Mundo at CP are my current gp-to smokes for when I'm out and about and have some time to spare.  Not quite dog rockets by a ways but quite reasonably priced.  I'll still have a L'Atelier or My Father when I'm in the shop with friends though.

Part of the fun of CP watching is getting a five- or ten-pack and checking stuff out, using a reputable reviewer for reference.  My go-to guy is Phil Kohn, cigar reviewer and bass player over at https://kohnhed.com/as he has a fairly deep bench of reviews accrued over the past few years.  Some of the things I've enjoyed with his help - and are still available at CP - include the Curivari Bonaventura and the Espinosa Laranja.  CP also has sizes of Dunbarton Umbagog I can't get locally, and good pricing on Todos Las Dias and Mi Querida as well.

When you can buy fivers, the risk is pretty low.  Buying a box on spec can be a bit of a downer, but hey.  You don't have "that guy" in your group of friends who'll smoke anything??

Brlesq

Quotej04nny8 - 3/23/2019  10:40 PM

I get what Curmudgeon is saying although I still look for good smokes that haven't been mainstreamed (or were heroes four-six years past and are phasing out).  But, really, Papas Fritas as a dog rocket?  OK, Drew's production standards have dropped in the Swisher age I guess.  They aren't as tasty as they once might have been.  While we're there, I don't know if anyone has seen any of the 'factory smokes' Drew's putting out?  Any good?  Thought not.  Drew's JDN line had a real good right-price smoke in the Joya Black, but while they still taste good these are becoming a real effort to smoke due to construction issues.

As for the Flor De Cano though.  Like you I saw them at CP and could find no reviews for them.  I bit the bullet last week and ordered a box of toros.  Quite acceptable five dollar cigar for half that.  Matter of fact I ordered a second box this morning.  Those, along with the two offerings from El Primer Mundo at CP are my current gp-to smokes for when I'm out and about and have some time to spare.  Not quite dog rockets by a ways but quite reasonably priced.  I'll still have a L'Atelier or My Father when I'm in the shop with friends though.

Part of the fun of CP watching is getting a five- or ten-pack and checking stuff out, using a reputable reviewer for reference.  My go-to guy is Phil Kohn, cigar reviewer and bass player over at https://kohnhed.com/as he has a fairly deep bench of reviews accrued over the past few years.  Some of the things I've enjoyed with his help - and are still available at CP - include the Curivari Bonaventura and the Espinosa Laranja.  CP also has sizes of Dunbarton Umbagog I can't get locally, and good pricing on Todos Las Dias and Mi Querida as well.

When you can buy fivers, the risk is pretty low.  Buying a box on spec can be a bit of a downer, but hey.  You don't have "that guy" in your group of friends who'll smoke anything??

One of the best, thought-out posts that I've read in a while.  Please don't wait another 3 years to post again.  :-)
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

arrow34

Quotej04nny8 - 3/23/2019  9:40 PM

I agree!  Great post!  Many good points and I also like kohnhed!  I actually agree with him on many sticks.  I also look for non-mainstream sticks or sticks that have fallen from favor and become great bargain buys.  I like a good 8-10 stick as much as the next guy, but when I can get said stick for $3 or more likely $4-5 :)  Even better.

Thanks for the post!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.