Hygrometer Placement

Started by mchammer, 01/26/2019 03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mchammer

I have a coolador with about 135 cigars in it. If I put my hygrometer at the bottom it reads 70 RH, but if I move it to the top it's around 66 RH. Which is the better placement and does that mean my cigars on the bottom are being over humidified?

Deener27

Quotemchammer - 1/26/2019  3:16 PM

I have a coolador with about 135 cigars in it. If I put my hygrometer at the bottom it reads 70 RH, but if I move it to the top it's around 66 RH. Which is the better placement and does that mean my cigars on the bottom are being over humidified?

I always keep mine 1/3 of the way from the top.  Humidity settles if there is no air circulation.  That way I get the best reading possible.  I would not say that 70 is over humidified but it is borderline by my standards.

Another thing you will want to check is the calibration of the hydrometer as well to make sure it is a correct reading.  I thought my old school analog and a cheapie digital were good till I ponied up a few dollars to buy a better one, and there was a huge difference in accuracy.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

Koop

Actually humid air is less dense than dry air, so it doesn't make sense that you would have higher humidity in the bottom of your humidor than the upper part - all things equal. What I think you're observing is a difference in temperature from the lower part to the upper part. Higher temperatures with equal water vapor = lower relative humidity. The warmer air in the humidor would rise to the top portion.

mchammer

Koop your explanation would make sense since I keep the cooler in the basement and we have had colder weather these past few weeks. Thanks for reply's

Deener27

QuoteKoop - 1/26/2019  7:01 PM

Actually humid air is less dense than dry air, so it doesn't make sense that you would have higher humidity in the bottom of your humidor than the upper part - all things equal. What I think you're observing is a difference in temperature from the lower part to the upper part. Higher temperatures with equal water vapor = lower relative humidity. The warmer air in the humidor would rise to the top portion.

Funny, both of my large humidors are the opposite.  Guess I live in bizzaro world.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

Koop

QuoteDeener27 - 1/27/2019  8:07 AM

Funny, both of my large humidors are the opposite.  Guess I live in bizzaro world.

Which part is opposite? This is a matter of simple physics.

ninfiction

My tower always has higher humidity at the bottom and lower on the top. It can by 5-6% difference. I keep mine in the basement too and it's super cold. Even during the summer it's higher on the bottom and lower on top. I have 2 fans to help circulate but still see a variance bottom to top.

I've learned to live with it, the cigars smoke fine.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Deener27

QuoteKoop - 1/27/2019  11:21 AM

QuoteDeener27 - 1/27/2019  8:07 AM

Which part is opposite? This is a matter of simple physics.

Here is the rub...I will only see a .2 degree difference from the top to the bottom but will see a 3% swing in RH.  This verified by not one, but two Govee Hydrometers which were outputting the same data.  I totally understand what you are saying based on physics.  It doesn't make sense to me.

I think everyone should do what suits their particular situation by testing what works and seeing what doesn't, then adjusting accordingly.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.