Traveling/Flying With Cigars

Started by Silverstix, 01/28/2019 08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silverstix

Hey Geeks,

I'm gonna be traveling out of the country next month, for 1 week.  I want to bring some smokes with me but I've never flown with cigars so I'm looking for a little input and advice from those of you with more experience in this area:

1) I don't have a travel humidor. I was thinking of just bringing a small Tupperware with 10 smokes in it - thoughts?

2) Obviously keeping the cigars with me in my carry on is what I want to do. Lighter and cutter I presume will have to go in my checked luggage....any issues putting a torch lighter in your checked bag?

3) Anything else you guys can think of in terms of advice would be appreciated.  Not trying to overthink this just wanna get my cigars, cutter, and lighter down there safely  

Thank you in advance!  :smoker2:  

Brlesq

You can't take torch lighters no matter where they are packed, but you can take disposable lighters.  The Soto Pocket Torch solves the problem.  Turns a disposable lighter into a torch.  You can pack it in your carry on, just pack it in a different part of your luggage and not assembled.  Money well spent!
https://www.amazon.com/SOTO-ST-PT-14SB-Soto-Pocket-Torch/dp/B0046UZRNU/ref=asc_df_B0046UZRNU/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312125823820&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17040637877365343218&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9004696&hvtargid=pla-350623810061&psc=1
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Cfickter

Good advise from Bruce
What I find it is generally easy to find wooden matches, but never a cutter.  Always take a cutter
Only take what you are prepared to lose.  You never know.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Brlesq

QuoteCfickter - 1/28/2019  9:54 AM

Good advise from Bruce
What I find it is generally easy to find wooden matches, but never a cutter.  Always take a cutter
Only take what you are prepared to lose.  You never know.

Cutters are permitted now. But that doesn't mean that the TSA agent you are facing knows that or even cares.  Like Chuck said, only take one that you are prepared to lose.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

appollo

I always put my sinks in a little plastic container with a boveda pak.I put a lighter and cutter in with them.Then I just put it in my luggage ,not my carry on.

junglepete

Ziplock bag and there is always a cheap cutter and a bic lighter in my backpack, even when not traveling. If I am only traveling for a week and my cigars are cello wrapped and zipocked, I don't even worry about humidification because I figure they just can't lose that much humidity in such a short time. If you would have asked this question 10 years ago, well then I might have been more apt to humidify, but today I just can't tell the difference of the humidity over the course of a week.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

DonM

A cheap cutter in your checked baggage and a bic, have not lost 1 yet.  I have snuck a cheap torch in before but if you are gone for a week refilling becomes a problem

"The Curmudgeon"

Cigary

I travel a lot,,,,here's what works.

1.  Tupperware or Herf A Dor......
2.  Bic lighter or any lighter that is a flint/soft flame
3.  Cheap Cutter
4.  Copy of what is ok to put in your carry on per TSA Rules ( this has saved me those little arguments with a TSA Agent who wants to debate their own policies )

NEVER bring your expensive soft flame lighter on a trip unless you can afford to have it confiscated

Checked baggage does not guarantee that your "stuff" will make it through.....I've had lighters, cigars, cutters taken with a little note inside my checked luggage that said my contents have been taken.....even the unbanded cigars were taken and I assume were smoked by the TSA crew and used my $80 lighter.

Murphy223

Cheap Cutter is consistent above.    I have a traveldor and in it keep
1. Cigars
2. Boveda pack
3. Box Matches
4. Cheap Cutter - which I am prepared to lose at any given trip

Have not had any problems in the past 6 trips

Silverstix

Thank you all for the responses! Good to know about the torch lighters being prohibited in checked baggage.  I will look up a copy of the TSA approved list and print it out for sure

tvolball

I usually keister my lighter and cutter.
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

arrow34

I usually just take a xikar cutter and have never had any probs.  Depending on my travel time frame, I take a herfador or a cigar vault(7 sticks), I prefer a dedicated carry case because it will protect my sticks better, I have tried the ziplock method in the past and had a few cracked sticks when they were accidently crushed.  I never bring a lighter, just matches.  If I can I buy a cheap disposable right away.  I carry all of my cigars in my carryon and have never had any issues.  I might start taking a copy of the tsa rules though.  But only had a lighter confiscated when I was in a rush and forgot it was in my bag.  As others have said, only take when you can afford to lose.

Brlesq

Quotetvolball - 1/29/2019  6:30 AM

I usually keister my lighter and cutter.

:moon:  :meansmoke:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 

c9belayer

My kit that's worked very well:

1) Cigar Traveler lighter system (always broken down, with the "lighter" bit in my pocket just like a cigarette smoker would do); the other bit is in my carry-on.
2) Xikar Scissor / Cutter / Leatherman-like tool AND a punch on a keychain with a couple keys. This is clipped to my belt loop while traveling.
3) 10-Stick Herfador with Boveda in my carry-on luggage (a messenger bag).

Notes
- Sometimes I open up the Xikar tool, mostly I don't. It's clearly under the 4" rule, and nothing on it is pointy and sharp - totally nonthreatening.
- Entering India, they will take all lighters -- regardless of style.
- Only once in 6 countries did I need to open up the Herfador to show the cigars inside... and that was traveling from California to Minnesota!

Good luck, and have fun!
One of the best parts of traveling is discovering new blends, or at least smoking your favorites in new and exotic locales!
-- c9belayer

Beegerply

When I travel out of county I take my herf a dor, sometimes I take 15 count and a five count depending. A Xikar cutter which I carry in my pocket, and put it in the tray with my coins and stuff, knock on wood it's made each time. I then put 3 or 4 Ronson jet lights in my checked bag and again I've never had them come up missing. This will be the first year out of the last 7 years I've not been out of county.  :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

Silverstix

Silverstix

My travel humidor is fully stocked for a week of kid-free fun with the Mrs. in the Dominican Republic  :dancing:  :dancing:  :dancing:

arrow34

I hope yours keeps working. I stupidly went cheaper and it stopped working... Yours looks higher quality.

Silverstix

Quotearrow34 - 3/15/2019  1:57 PM  I hope yours keeps working. I stupidly went cheaper and it stopped working... Yours looks higher quality.

I thought about going cheaper but I figured screw it, for a few more bucks I took the shot.  This one came with a refillable lighter too.  I will report back next weekend  

Brlesq

QuoteSilverstix - 3/15/2019  1:55 PM

So I leave on Monday.  I bought this on Amazon and it seems to work great https://www.amazon.com/SOTO-Soto-Pocket-Torch-2019/dp/B005G3PQJQ/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=Soto+Pocket+Torch&qid=1552671305&s=gateway&sr=8-5

I have that one.  Works great
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

amigodecigars

If you are traveling to a country that sells cigars, each person is allowed to bring 100 cigars back into the USA duty free.
"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

Ted

I have a few of these and they work well. Can find them on Amazon under the name Iroda. Same concept as the Soto which I assume works just as well (I do like that it's smaller).

PETE314

I personally have 3 different herf-a-dors...so depending on how many I am taking.  I bought them early in this hobby.  But you can find 5, 10, and 15 count travel humidors pretty cheaply.  CI has a bunch under $20  and if you keep your eyes open...you can get a deal on an auction site  (cBid)  I prefer them to bags etc...as they really do protect the cigars well from crushing or any issues.  For humidification...I do one of 2 things...Boveda is great if you have them...but I also like the little humi care pillow that can be recharged.  As for the torch...I personally would go with matches or more than likely purchase something cheap once abroad...if or when travelling in the US...you can go to any walmart and get a Ronson Jetlight for 5 or 6 bucks...cutters...nothing different to say than what has already been said...
I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken....

What good is it to wear your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????

Silverstix

So my trip was a success.  My wife bought me a 15-ct Cigar Caddy for our anniversary, which safely carried my 10 cigars that I brought on our trip.  I also pre-cut the cigars before we went, so I didn't have to worry about the cutter issue.  And happy to report that the Soto portable torch lighter tool worked great.  Highly recommend buying one if you travel

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.