What Price Is A Budget Cigar To You?

Started by junglepete, 01/30/2019 09:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What Price Is A Budget Cigar To You?

Less Than $1
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 37

junglepete

Thanks for the tip for getting this right Bruce!

Recent threads have touched on this subject. Where do you stand?
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

ninfiction

Anything under $5 for me I guess. I don't smoke 3-4 cigars a day so what I consider a "budget cigar" skews higher probably.

Technically any cigar I buy, I have deemed to be in my budget, and is a budget cigar.  :shy:
This is not the admin you're looking for...

arrow34

I am with nonfiction - I tend to smoke only 1 a day or every other day or sometimes just on the weekends.  

But 80% of the cigars I smoke are under $5, that is my cost, not what the cost of the cigar is in a store.  I buy online and stock more then a few cigar lines like many others here.  I try to keep my cost on each cigar under $5, but I do splurge on some that are $11-14.  But like i said majority under $5. I would consider them bargains more than budget.

benchjockey

For the purpose of this thread my thinking on buying falls into two categories.
The first is finding cigars I like at a bargain price, say $2-$3 under the normal price. This is where I do most of my buying.
The second is the budget sticks where I know I'm getting a decent smoke for somewhere in the $2.50-$4 range. These are good when my smoking time may be limited or my concentration is on something other than what I'm smoking. It's good to have a few of these around. It also builds my supply and is easy on my limited budget.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

headfirst

My answer to this has changed over time.  When I first started I would've thought under $2.  A couple years later I would've said $2-$3.  Now that my mindset has shifted from valuing quantity vs cost to quality vs cost I can say under $5 is a "budget cigar".  I'm a once a week smoker in general so like others it does make a difference that I'm not smoking 2-3/day, easier to afford a higher price point.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

appollo

Quoteheadfirst - 1/30/2019  12:45 PM

My answer to this has changed over time.  When I first started I would've thought under $2.  A couple years later I would've said $2-$3.  Now that my mindset has shifted from valuing quantity vs cost to quality vs cost I can say under $5 is a "budget cigar".  I'm a once a week smoker in general so like others it does make a difference that I'm not smoking 2-3/day, easier to afford a higher price point.
I agree with Gary on this,along with many others.I only smoke 2-3 a week so I fall into this category.

Murphy223

Quoteheadfirst - 1/30/2019  11:45 AM  My answer to this has changed over time.  When I first started I would’ve thought under $2.  A couple years later I would’ve said $2-$3.  Now that my mindset has shifted from valuing quantity vs cost to quality vs cost I can say under $5 is a “budget cigar”.  I’m a once a week smoker in general so like others it does make a difference that I’m not smoking 2-3/day, easier to afford a higher price point.

Same here -  I smoke 1-2 / week and because of that, I try to place more emphasis on quality.  Still trying to find out what I truly like best but anything under $5 is reasonable IMO. 

Brlesq

Less than $5 for me, unless its from a local B&M here in NY, then its less than $9 (damned taxes!)
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Cfickter

Well I am usually 1 or 2 a day and 3 a day on the weekends.  I looks for deals that I can buy a good cigar at a great price.  Example is the La Palina Red or Black toros.  You can get a bundle for $2 ea. on a good day, but I wouldn't spend $2 on a Gurkha .
I can then smoke one of these every now and then and not worry about smoking thru more expensive ones all the time.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

junglepete

A budget stick for me in in the $2-$3 range. I smoke two sticks a day. I smoke about 5 budget sticks a week and the rest vary between $3-$5...a couple of times a month I smoke something higher end, $5 and up.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

gitfiddl

I chose "Less than $5" based on everyday online retail prices.  Like most folks, I shop for deals.  For example, I recently bought a 10-pack of Sobremesa Short Torpedos for $50 from CI, roughly half-price.  I wouldn't call them budget cigars, even though I only paid $5/stick.  My "go-to" budget cigars like 5 Vegas usually sell for $4-5/stick, but I don't think I've ever paid more than $3/stick for them.

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

tuck0411

I buy mostly on C-bid and try to get the majority of my sticks for $2 or less, not counting shipping and tax.  Am mostly successful, but I'll occasionally go higher for something better than average, say Perdomo or My Father.  But when someone says "budget cigar", I think of the cheap samplers I started out with, like the "Cheap Churchill" sampler from Thompson, where I paid about $1.30 per stick.  That's a budget cigar and I would humbly submit that an Oliva for $2 per stick is merely a really nice deal for a quality stick that happens to fit my budget quite well...
Todd

"Those sticks won't smoke themselves..." -- OZZ

Koop

I watch Cigar Monster daily and buy when I find a deal. My humidor is 60% Perdomo due to their consistency, but I'll buy others when I can get a deal. I pay retail at S&B stores when I want to try something different, but a sample of one is always a crapshoot. My cigars with discounted prices tend to run under $5.

wescat

Under $4 is the "budget" zone for me.

What about this stick? It dips below $105, with the shipping that comes to $5.60/per, pretty good value:   https://www.cigarbid.com/a/aj-fernandez-bellas-artes-maduro-cigars/3099833/
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

DonM

I selected Under $5.  With that said, anything under $3 is scrutinized, because chances are, it could fall into the serious dog rocket category where flavor and construction become an issue

"The Curmudgeon"

Brlesq

QuoteDonM - 1/31/2019  12:07 PM

I selected Under $5.  With that said, anything under $3 is scrutinized, because chances are, it could fall into the serious dog rocket category where flavor and construction become an issue

You can still taste things at your age?

:biggrin:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

kuke

I selected the less than 5..... but like some others here, I average about 1 cigar a week.  So I generally go for cigars that are in the $10 range.  But having said that, I've purchased many less expensive quality cigars such as the Illusione Rothschild.  I've bought a couple of cabs of those.

Beegerply

Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

Vanilla Gorilla

Being from Canada it's hard to find a decent cigar for less than $5. Anything less than 5...with very few/if any exceptions are trash and not even close to enjoyable. Our tobacco tax here is %56.6 of the taxable price of a cigar. So even a budget cigar to you guys is going to clear that $5 mark for us. For more information on our outrageous tobacco taxes please feel sorry for us by clicking the following link https://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/tax/tt/index.html

Forever seaching for the perfect cigar, one puff at a time.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.