Some cBid Deals

Started by wescat, 02/04/2019 09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wescat

I sometimes see really good deals going down on Cigar Bid. So I thought I'd document them in this thread, in case anyone wants to take advantage.

Y'all enjoy the tobacco.
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

wescat

For some reason, cBid will occasionally focus on selling via their Free Fall format. Donno why.

Here's a good deal on Cabaiguan by Tatuaje Guapos RX Robusto Extra (5.2"x50) Pack of 25. It will go just under $100 before it resets. The CI everyday price is $170, so the cBid deal is a 41% discount. Good deal on a good cigar.   https://www.cigarbid.com/a/cabaiguan-by-tatuaje-cigars/3106338/

Here's a good deal on Caldwell Dos Firmas Signature Culebra (6.0"x30) Box of 7. It will go just under $48 before it resets. The CI everyday price is $95, so the cBid deal is a 50% discount.    https://www.cigarbid.com/a/caldwell-dos-firmas-cigars/3106340/

Here's an OK deal on Drew Estate Undercrown Shade Corona (5.6"x46) Box of 25. It will go just under $114 before it resets. The CI everyday price is $160, so the cBid deal is a 29% discount.    https://www.cigarbid.com/a/drew-estate-undercrown-shade-corona/3106191/
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

headfirst

No, I won't be sucked back in! :banghead:

I have to stay away from cbid in general but this is a great thread idea, thanks.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

wescat

Tatuaje 10 Year are really good smokes, and boxes can be had for $100 - 110. The CI price is $180, so a 48% discount is pretty good.

https://www.cigarbid.com/a/tatuaje-10-year-belle-encre-perfecto/3100664/

That's a damn good $6 dollar cigar....

Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

PETE314

Are you shooting for an Enabler Badge???  LOL
I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken....

What good is it to wear your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????

PETE314

Because you doing a pretty good job of it...LOL

What good is it to wear your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????

junglepete

Good thread, thanks!
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Adwinistrator

Has anyone experienced issues with cigars ordered from CBid?

When I was ordering from them a lot, even higher quality sticks (Tatuaje, Dunbarton, Undercrown) would have issues.  Cracking wrappers, poor burn, little flavor...

I have a feeling their storage conditions are not good.  The prices are nice, but especially for a quality stick, I feel that other places end up being better quality and taste...  I don't think this is placebo, since I was pumped up on my own CBid hype back then...

Deener27

QuoteAdwinistrator - 2/8/2019  1:10 PM

When I was ordering from them a lot, even higher quality sticks (Tatuaje, Dunbarton, Undercrown) would have issues.  Cracking wrappers, poor burn, little flavor...

I have a feeling their storage conditions are not good.  The prices are nice, but especially for a quality stick, I feel that other places end up being better quality and taste...  I don't think this is placebo, since I was pumped up on my own CBid hype back then...

I can't say that I have ever had issues like that from them.  I will say that "most" of the time, I will let a cigar sit in one of the humi's for a month or so before smoking it.  That isn't to say that I won't steal one ROTT if it is something I am really excited to try.

My lone issue stemmed from a time when they were switching over their inventory management system and started losing everyone's orders.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

CoreyMacLeod

I haven't had any issues with the quality of cigars that I've bought on CBid.  They once sent the wrong cigars, but other than that, nada.
No Signature Necessary.

Brlesq

QuoteAdwinistrator - 2/8/2019  2:10 PM

:mad:

I've had all kinds of bad experiences with CBid, so I no longer buy there except for a rare exceptional deal where I'm willing to take a risk (but I no longer bid on additional items, more on that below).  The way they pack the cigars for shipping is atrocious. No Boveda and no bubble wrap so cigars just bounce around in a much-too-large box with an air pillow and get damaged.

But the biggest problem I have had with them (TWICE) is winning a bid on a rare item, then bidding on additional items to take advantage of shipper savings, only to be notified later that the rare item I won is "no longer available", but when I go to cancel the rest of the order (because I wouldn't have bid on anything else if I hadn't initially won the rare item), they tell me I bid and won on these other auctions and its a binding contract, but its NOT binding on them to fulfill the rare item that I won! Eventually they cancelled everything (both times) after I threatened to report them to the PA Attorney General for illegal bait and switch tactics, but it was a lot of hassle and lost time.  Not worth it!    
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

arrow34

QuoteBrlesq - 2/10/2019  10:34 AM

QuoteAdwinistrator - 2/8/2019  2:10 PM

:mad:

I've had all kinds of bad experiences with CBid, so I no longer buy there except for a rare exceptional deal where I'm willing to take a risk (but I no longer bid on additional items, more on that below).  The way they pack the cigars for shipping is atrocious. No Boveda and no bubble wrap so cigars just bounce around in a much-too-large box with an air pillow and get damaged.

But the biggest problem I have had with them (TWICE) is winning a bid on a rare item, then bidding on additional items to take advantage of shipper savings, only to be notified later that the rare item I won is "no longer available", but when I go to cancel the rest of the order (because I wouldn't have bid on anything else if I hadn't initially won the rare item), they tell me I bid and won on these other auctions and its a binding contract, but its NOT binding on them to fulfill the rare item that I won! Eventually they cancelled everything (both times) after I threatened to report them to the PA Attorney General for illegal bait and switch tactics, but it was a lot of hassle and lost time.  Not worth it!    

Wow.. I thankfully don't go to crazy often on cbid,  I did get some ok deals on a fiver of Plasencia Alma Fuerte, but that is about as high I will go there.  And like you, I tend to go and bid on other items to take advantage of shipping reductions.  But that bait and switch sucks!  I am glad you got it taken care of.  I thankfully haven't had that happen.  I do agree they suck at packing cigars sometimes, but have only had one experience where cigars came cracked.  The box did look like it had been kicked and dragged all the way from the warehouse... but they replaced them just fine.  

I find most places don't pack their cigar with humidifiers, cigar.com does and fox.  But that is it that I buy from.  I know other sites do, just not ones I buy from.

PETE314

I have never had an issue...I would prefer a Boveda pack in the package.  But I have had pretty good experiences with CBid.  In fact....I should win my next bid and I will have 2 - 20 packs and a lighter for about $100.  Granted the cigars are not ultra Premiums.  But they are great Daily smokers...CAO and Graycliffe...and it is still a great deal.  I have never come across anything close to the issues that Bruce had.

Cfickter

I tend to stay away, 99% of the cigars deals don't interest me.  What I do find are decent deals on accessories though.  Picked Xi up some Xikar cutters for under $25
Most issues I have had is crap packing, seems like two air pillows and throw the stuff in
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

PETE314

QuoteCfickter - 2/11/2019  11:53 AM  I tend to stay away, 99% of the cigars deals don't interest me.  What I do find are decent deals on accessories though.  Picked Xi up some Xikar cutters for under $25 Most issues I have had is crap packing, seems like two air pillows and throw the stuff in
I do find great deals on accessories and it is one of the first places I look....Good Cutters(Palio, Xikar, Colibri V-Cut) and I have great luck with the JetLine Lighters  which I can find inexpensively.  I have gotten several ashtrays.  Thinking about grabbing a pipe for the right deal...(I have a local guy for the tobacco tho)  

I don't ever shop for the 'rare' and big ticket items on CBid.  I find that there are too many guys out there that have too much money to spend that push those auctions through the roof too quickly...But for daily's...or even grabbing 5 packs of something I have wanted to try...and especially for accessories...I find it to be a great resource...  Just my experiences...

Cfickter

QuotePETE314 - 2/11/2019  9:11 AM  

QuoteCfickter - 2/11/2019  11:53 AM  I tend to stay away, 99% of the cigars deals don't interest me.  What I do find are decent deals on accessories though.  Picked Xi up some Xikar cutters for under $25 Most issues I have had is crap packing, seems like two air pillows and throw the stuff in
I do find great deals on accessories and it is one of the first places I look....Good Cutters(Palio, Xikar, Colibri V-Cut) and I have great luck with the JetLine Lighters  which I can find inexpensively.  I have gotten several ashtrays.  Thinking about grabbing a pipe for the right deal...(I have a local guy for the tobacco tho)  

I don't ever shop for the 'rare' and big ticket items on CBid.  I find that there are too many guys out there that have too much money to spend that push those auctions through the roof too quickly...But for daily's...or even grabbing 5 packs of something I have wanted to try...and especially for accessories...I find it to be a great resource...  Just my experiences...

Pete, you are right, the rarer or HTF stuff gets way over bid.  Good point on the Palios also.  Picked one up for $14

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Chefjohn

QuoteDeener27 - 2/9/2019  6:56 AM

I can't say that I have ever had issues like that from them.  I will say that "most" of the time, I will let a cigar sit in one of the humi's for a month or so before smoking it.  That isn't to say that I won't steal one ROTT if it is something I am really excited to try.

My lone issue stemmed from a time when they were switching over their inventory management system and started losing everyone's orders.

Ive only gotten a couple of things off CBid when they had an exceptional deal and haven't had a problem. I do the same as David said and when I get something new in I let it sit in my humidor a minimum of 30 days before I smoke it.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

headfirst

Sobremesa 10 pack going for around $50 including shipping on free fall...seems like a good deal.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

arrow34

Quoteheadfirst - 2/11/2019  12:46 PM

Sobremesa 10 pack going for around $50 including shipping on free fall...seems like a good deal.

It is!  I have grabbed three tenners of them in the past year.

wescat

QuotePETE314 - 2/8/2019  7:12 AM

Are you shooting for an Enabler Badge???  LOL

Because you doing a pretty good job of it...LOL
True, guilty as charged. How you been Peter, better I hope?

Quotejunglepete - 2/8/2019  8:04 AM

Good thread, thanks!
Thank you Mr. Jungle...

I have not had those type issues with cBid tobacco.

QuoteDeener27 - 2/9/2019  5:56 AM
I did have screwed up orders when they were changing their management platform software. It was a PITA for too damn long. I just went elsewhere for a long time, let them sort it out.

QuoteBrlesq - 2/10/2019  10:34 AM

Kick their a$$ Bruce, bait and switch is bull$hit. They often do a $hitty job packing the parcels, I agree 100%. I've made them replace cigars many times due to damage en route.

QuotePETE314 - 2/11/2019  8:11 AM
I don't ever shop for the 'rare' and big ticket items on CBid.  I find that there are too many guys out there that have too much money to spend that push those auctions through the roof too quickly.
I agree, but, there is usually a small time window every year, right after the first, where damn good deals can be had. Tame bidding, everyone is broke.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

wescat

Get Some !!!!!!!!!!
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

arrow34

New cbid free fall deal Alec Bradley Mundial #5
https://www.cigarbid.com/a/alec-bradley-mundial-cigars/3157733/

Was able to get it down to $36.xx plus tax and shipping equaled $45.xx shipped.

Cigary

Bruce summed it up and their"bait/switch" business model doesn't work for me. If they host a great deal... then I'll bite... if they try the "it's not available" routine then I can call them and make a FUSS... if that doesn't fix it then the order gets lost and doesn't arrive and it's a moot point after that... they eat the deal either way while I'm trying to fix it. Haven't used CBID in 3 years and somehow I've survived.

arrow34

I have been pretty lucky with the orders I have done.  But most have been pretty small orders.  Only had two bad orders and they never bait and switched me.  Just replaced them.

headfirst

I've been watching lots that would interest me out of curiosity thanks to this thread.  The deals aren't what they used to be.  Seems to me cbid has trimmed down their volume a bit on daily lots which has driven up the bidding wars.  I see a lot of stuff in that category bidding higher than the freefall equivalents or at or above normal online retail prices.  It seems the deals are more on the freefalls now, opposite of the way it was a couple years ago...
-Charles Spurgeon

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.