Wrapper Magic

Started by Koop, 02/15/2019 09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koop

It's probably apparent by now that I have an affinity for Perdomo cigars. I've been on a quest to puff through their catalog. I've smoked a few dozen 10th Anniversary Champagne Connecticuts and found them to defy the mild expression often given to Connecticut wrapper cigars. The filler/binder Nicaraguan blend has plenty of spice and kick. So, in my mind a mild Connecticut wrapper plus a spicy blend of Nicaraguan equals a medium plus smoke.

Tonight I puffed a Perdomo Champagne Sun Grown. Presumably the same blend of Nicaraguan filler and binder with a stronger Sun Grown Nicaraguan wrapper. So stronger plus stronger should mean stronger flavor and overall strength, right? Well, not so much. What I found is that blending is definitely an art and a science. Stronger and stronger don't necessarily add up. The Sun Grown Champagne had such a perfect balance that strength was never really part of the equation. Who knew. I keep learning.

gitfiddl

I, too, am a fan of Perdomo cigars.  The Perdomo family history is intriguing one, what with Silvio's imprisonment by the Castro regime, Nick Sr.'s escape before execution, and the subsequent success story of the family cigar business.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

sar127

While Perdomo's Connecticuts sell very well, and his Maduros also have a following, his Sungrowns are what's most appreciated by seasoned smokers, and for good reason imo. His Sungrowns are usually a solidly balanced medium body as you mentioned. If you liked the champagne SG, I'd recommend the 20th SG next.
Sir Rob

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

PETE314

The 10th Ann. Champagne are a great Connecticut.....I am a fan of the Champagne Noir's....But my favorite Perdomo is the Double Aged Vintage 12 yr.  Both the Habano and the Maduro are awesome.  The maduro is one of my top favorite cigars. 

Outside of those...I don't shy away from Perdomo....but I don't search them out...

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken....

What good is it to wear your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????

Chefjohn

Quotegitfiddl - 2/16/2019  8:39 AM

I, too, am a fan of Perdomo cigars.  The Perdomo family history is intriguing one, what with Silvio's imprisonment by the Castro regime, Nick Sr.'s escape before execution, and the subsequent success story of the family cigar business.

I read the family history. What an amazing testament to intestinal fortitude. Thanks for sharing that info David.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

gitfiddl

QuoteChefjohn - 2/17/2019  10:48 AM

I read the family history. What an amazing testament to intestinal fortitude. Thanks for sharing that info David.

You're quite welcome.  The history of the various cigar companies has always intrigued me.  The "old school" makes upstarts like Jonathan Drew pale  in comparison.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Chefjohn

Quotegitfiddl - 2/17/2019  11:27 AM

QuoteChefjohn - 2/17/2019  10:48 AM

You're quite welcome.  The history of the various cigar companies has always intrigued me.  The "old school" makes upstarts like Jonathan Drew pale  in comparison.

Yeah, I've been reading the history of a lot of the companies. It's very interesting. You're right about the young upstarts. I once has a conversation with a cocky young "chef" and he referred to the old guys that are still around. I told him there's a reason the old guys that are still around ARE still around.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

gitfiddl

QuoteChefjohn - 2/17/2019  1:28 PM

Yeah, I've been reading the history of a lot of the companies. It's very interesting. You're right about the young upstarts. I once has a conversation with a cocky young "chef" and he referred to the old guys that are still around. I told him there's a reason the old guys that are still around ARE still around.

John, I had a young Turk friend (late 20's) of my son who was fresh out of culinary school help cook dinner here at the house a few years back.  He actually laughed at my 50+ year old hand-me-down cast iron skillets I was using and couldn't believe I liked them better than the pro-grade Vollrath stuff I had hanging up on the wall.  Then he was amazed at how non-stick they were.  I did have to stop him from washing them in the soapy dishwater when we were done.  :-0

And as a keyboard player, even though I have several synthesizers and whatnot, I still prefer a good ol' Hammond organ and Leslie speaker and something that sounds like a  piano to all the new-fangled stuff.  While smoking a good Arturo Fuente cigar, of course!  :biggrin:

Cfickter

you should see a difference since the Connecticut wrapper on the first Champagne is shade grown vs the obvious Sun Grown.  Also the shade grown is a much thinner wrapper and therefore much more susceptible to have the binder and filler influence the smoke.  Soil and growing conditions can also greatly influence.

You cannot always relate strength to flavor.  Strength is greatly influenced by the priming (where the leaf is on the plant) Corona (top priming, most sun), Ligero, Viso, Seco then Volado.  The same plant can produce different strength tobaccos.  

Flavors are much more influenced by the senses, including smell.  Aging also greatly influences flavors, from the time, to humidity, to how over the bales are racked.

That is what is great about cigars, what tastes like one thing to you can be completely different to someone else.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.