Another Bourbon Thread..School Me

Started by ninfiction, 02/20/2019 08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninfiction

Tell me your must have bourbon...I'm looking to expand my collection.

Currently Buffalo Trace is my go to distillery. Eagle Rare, EH Taylor, and the regular Buffalo Trace are enjoyed often in my house. Add to that Woodford, Willett, Bulleit. Also have some Old Forester, Four Roses Small Batch( which I think is too hot) Noah's Mill, McKenna.

I'm looking for more. What do you love? Doesn't even have to be fancy, I'll give it all a shot. (Kent - Ancient Age, I know)

And if anyone has a line on 2 bottles of Blanton's or 1, I shouldn't be greedy...I'll pay...cash or cigars
This is not the admin you're looking for...

SenorPablo

Bourbon has been my new vice.  All the ones you named are great.  Anything from Buffalo Trace is a winner in my book.  I have Buffalo Trace (also my go to) along with Eagle Rare.  Other good ones from them are the Sazarac Rye (i'm not a big rye guy but Sazerac is good) and Weller is up there with Buffalo Trace.  Blanton's is of course awesome if you can find it.  Other readily available ones I like are Jack Daniels Single Barrel Select (a bit overpriced but decent), Jim Beam Black Extra Aged (and I really don't like regular Jim Beam), Michters is decent, I think the Makers 46 is decent as well, and the Russell's Reserve 10 year is usually easy to find as well and decent.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

Koop

I toured the Buffalo Trace distillery last summer. What was most interesting to me was the fact that the core brand, Buffalo Trace, and the more upscale Eagle Rare, started with the same mash grain recipe. The difference is all in how they're aged. I also picked up some Blanton's single barrel while I was there. Of course, Pappy Van Winkle 23 year old is the holy grail. (check my avatar, that's Pappy himself lighting a stogie).

ninfiction

I toured Buffalo Trace in January. The tour guide said they have 6 mash bills for all the versions coming out of there. It's all about age and where the barrels have aged.

Would love to get my hands on a bottle of Weller's, no luck so far. Makers Mark is my go to Old Fashioned mix.

I think if I came across a bottle of Pappy's I'd flip it instead of drinking it.

cavenbk

I can get Blanton's pretty easily here in PA. for around $60 a bottle. As far as what I like bourbon wise, my in-laws got me a bottle of Weller and it is pretty darn good. I also like Four Roses Yellow Label, and Evan Williams (about $14 per bottle, can't beat it)
You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

ninfiction

Quotecavenbk - 2/20/2019  10:50 PM

I can get Blanton's pretty easily here in PA. for around $60 a bottle. As far as what I like bourbon wise, my in-laws got me a bottle of Weller and it is pretty darn good. I also like Four Roses Yellow Label, and Evan Williams (about $14 per bottle, can't beat it)

Hook a brother up!

I've heard Evan Williams is a decent drink. I'll have to get a bottle...the price is definitely right

klamm143

Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

Chefjohn

I'm a big fan of Blantons and Weller. The pride of my collection is a bottle of Eagle
Rare 17 a friend gave me as a retirement gift.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Brlesq

Weller 12 is awesome.  Some states have it regularly, others never get it (like NY).  Bernheim Wheated Whiskey is a good substitute.

I also like James Pepper bourbon, but I don't care much for their rye. Evan Williams is a good budget bottle

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Cfickter

Quoteninfiction - 2/20/2019  11:52 PM  
Quotecavenbk - 2/20/2019  10:50 PM  I can get Blanton's pretty easily here in PA. for around $60 a bottle. As far as what I like bourbon wise, my in-laws got me a bottle of Weller and it is pretty darn good. I also like Four Roses Yellow Label, and Evan Williams (about $14 per bottle, can't beat it)
Hook a brother up!  I've heard Evan Williams is a decent drink. I'll have to get a bottle...the price is definitely right

Brian, let me know if I can help here also

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

BewareDaPenguin

I enjoy just straight Jack I guess I'm accustomed to it since I've drank it for so long! I got turned onto Moneky Shoulder a few years ago off this site and still have a bottle in the fridge, but my new go to is Tempelton Rye just has great flavor :smoker:
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

Murphy223

For the cheaper end of the spectrum, I did some of the Bourbon trail last Oct and toured, Wild Turkey, Jim Beam, Woodford, 4 Roses and Makers  and became a huge fan of Woodford Reserve as well as Longranch from Wild Turkey

Enjoy Larceny for an everyday type mixer as well

PETE314

Huge fan of the Templeton Rye....
I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken....

What good is it to wear your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????

headfirst

When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

PETE314

This thread reminded me that I was out of my favorite rum  "Zaya".  So I decided to stop off at the store to grab some...while I was there I thought I would pick up some bourbon as well.  They were out of the Zaya, and recommended the Doorly's 12 yr.  (surprise surprise....very good).  They had no Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare available.  But they did some good selections.  Oh I was torn between some different bourbons and some good ryes.  After talking with some of the store employees...I ended up grabbing a bottle of the Black Ridge Small Batch.  And as I was heading to the register, I came across a bottle of El Mayor Anejo Barrel Select Tequilla.  I have some bourbons and Whiskeys at the house already...but no Tequilla. So I decided to get the El Mayor instead.  I was told some really good things about the Black Ridge.  I will definitely have to go back for it.  BUT...I can't say that I made the wrong decision, because that Tequilla was Fantastic.
I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken....

What good is it to wear your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????

DRuff

Evan Williams Single Barrel is very good and only about 27 bucks.

bstessl

Quotecavenbk - 2/20/2019  10:50 PM  I can get Blanton's pretty easily here in PA. for around $60 a bottle.

I think I might have to order a bottle or two from you...
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

bstessl

Larceny is a 94 proof choice that has a decent price tag...  if something is running a little too hot for your taste, just add a touch of water or let the ice sit for a few minutes.
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

cavenbk

Quotebstessl - 2/25/2019  1:40 PM  
Quotecavenbk - 2/20/2019  10:50 PM  I can get Blanton's pretty easily here in PA. for around $60 a bottle.

I think I might have to order a bottle or two from you...

Let me know. I'm sure that if I am not able to for some reason, Chuck would probably help. 

You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

BewareDaPenguin

Quoteheadfirst - 2/22/2019  8:22 PM

Bookers is good.

:bigthumbs: yes I polished off a bottle of Bookers a few years ago and forgot how good it was till I saw this lol...would recommend it for sure :smoker:
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

ninfiction

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Now I have a list to work from.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.