My Search is Over! (or When a Cigar Takes You Back)

Started by gitfiddl, 02/23/2019 12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitfiddl

When I started seriously smoking cigars some 10 or 12 years ago, I, like many other newbies, searched and squandered a bunch of money looking for that great  hidden gem budget cigar.  I did find mine in Manolo's Factory Overruns, the Dominican puro robusto version made by Manuel Quesada.  CI sold them in boxes of 25 for between $20-25., and I bought probably more than my share.  And then, poof (or would that be "puff"?), they were gone.  I tried virtually every Quesada Dominican cigar I could identify as a Quesada, and other cigars labelled "Dominican Overruns" (without committing to a full box or bundle), but nothing tasted the same.  Some came real close, but as the adage goes, no cigar.  

A week or ten days ago, Ed (arrow34) posted about a Quesada closeout at Serious Cigars.  Among those on sale were Ocaso cigars.  I figured at $12/box of ten, I'd take a chance, even though they had a Mexican binder.  I let them rest for just over a week, and took one out of my humidor this morning.  It was like stepping back in a time machine.  The same sort of mottled color, the same relatively flat cap, the same aroma.  I lit it, and I was instantly transported back to the deck at the Conch House, setting up on the deck for our usual Saturday gig.  The same flavors of grains and cashews, the same pepper that grew in strength without ever getting bitter or overpowering... all there.

Yeah, I know.  Some may say it's just another cheap cigar, and maybe so, as I only gave it a 3.5 and some of that is just me waxing nostalgic.  Whatever.  I may just mix me a Goombay Smash and light me up another.  If you don't like it, get off my lawn!
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

junglepete

Glad to hear it Dave!! Every hidden treasure needs finding.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.