Oshkosh Premier Humidifier Review

Started by Adwinistrator, 03/10/2019 04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adwinistrator

Oshkosh Humidor Co. was kind enough to send one of their new humidifiers my way for review.

The humidifier arrived in a nicely designed cardboard tube with a detailed instruction manual on the basics for setup and usage.

The humidifier itself is a decent sized reservoir that can hold over 10 oz. of water, and uses a sponge wick to soak up to the upper sponge surface.  The sponge surface is covered by a gated screen that you can adjust to slightly open or close, theoretically reducing moisture release.

The humidifier did arrive with a fair amount of green foam dust spread across the top, from manufacturing most likely.  While I did my best to wipe this off, you can still see evidence remaining.  While this is not a problem for the functionality of the humidifier, it may be aesthetically concerning for some.

Build quality overall seems good, although some edges appear to be a slightly unaligned.

Upon initial filling, it did take a while for the upper foam surface to become completely moisturized, which does give a clue as to how slowly the water is dispersed.  I consider this a good thing, as the main issue with passive humidification can be over-saturation.  Even after it was fully moisturized, there are dry spots in some corners.  Whether this is a problem (in the eyes of the user or the designer), I cannot say.

After nearly 6 weeks of use, the water level has gone down approximately 2/3rds.  That to me shows a good, slow, and stable release of moisture.

As far as using the slotted gates to dial in the humidity, I wasn't able to achieve a notable difference, but the environment I was using this for might not be ideal.  With a decent amount of cigars in the humidor, small changes might not be noticed for months.

While there are many reasons to choose a specific humidification system for every different humidor setup and preference, in comparing the Oshkosh Premium Humidifier with other passive foam humidification systems, I would have to rank this among the best.  My main reasons would be:
  • It is not a solid foam brick.  Many foam brick setups are prone to mold, but I think the design of this humidifier would make that somewhat less likely (though still a risk).
  • It has a reservoir.  Traditional foam bricks are difficult to use at times, as you can accidentally let them dry out and damage your cigars.  While that's a risk with any humidification system, having a large reservoir of water easily gives you months of humidification, and an easy way to judge how much water is remaining.
  • Used in combination with 2 way active humidification systems, I feel this method humidifier would provide a great deal of stability and longevity without introducing too much risk.

The main downsides of this specific humidifier, when compared to other passive humidification systems, would be:
  • Bulkiness of the device.  I can update with the dimensions later, but it is a little longer (but shorter) than the Cigar Oasis Excel
  • Risk of spillage.  If this device tipped over, water would be released into your humidor.

All in all, I think this is a good product that is being introduced to the humidification market.  While many people can debate the merits of different types of humidification systems, if someone asked me to recommend a passive humidification system for a large humidor, I would probably tell them about the Oshkosh Premium Humidifier.  For small humidors, there are better options.  For those who argue the utility for a passive humidification system like this, I can see a lot of use in using it in conjunction with 2 way active humidification system.

I could give this a rating of 4/5, when comparing with competing passive humidification systems.

headfirst

How come all I can think of right now is overalls?
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Adwinistrator

Quoteheadfirst - 3/10/2019  5:43 PM

How come all I can think of right now is overalls?

B'Gosh?

headfirst

When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Brlesq

Thanks for the review.  So basically its a plastic box with some sort of green foam in it?
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Adwinistrator

QuoteBrlesq - 3/10/2019  7:03 PM

Thanks for the review.  So basically its a plastic box with some sort of green foam in it?

Well, there's a reservoir with no foam, just water, the the foam top surface has a wick that dips into the reservoir.

Chefjohn

Thanks for taking the time to review that Ryan.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

jagfandaddy

The green stuff reminds me of the material you would find in a floral arrangement.
"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
 George Burns

Adwinistrator

Quotejagfandaddy - 3/10/2019  7:48 PM

The green stuff reminds me of the material you would find in a floral arrangement.

Yep, same kind of stuff.  That is usually what you find in traditional humidor puck/bricks.  A basic florist foam block in plastic.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.