New owner to lay off 112 and close Tampa's Thompson Cigar outlet store and distribution center

Started by arrow34, 03/29/2019 07:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonM

Even though I am in the area, I have only ordered from them once.  I got a sales call from them before the box was delivered that day.  It was the last time I ordered from them.

Even in view of that, I am sorry to see anything Cigar related leave Tampa Bay or Ybor City aka Cigar City

"The Curmudgeon"

Kid Montana

Thompson closing is no great loss for the industry.  Their product handling was always sub-par, their prices were good on a lot of garbage, but not so great on the cigars I actually enjoy, and their marketing was the worst.

I'd rather have a cigar...

Cfickter

Made the mistake of ordering off them once, then the call started, too many other good places to order on-line from to worry about one sub-par place closing
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

arrow34

Yeah I hated the calls too, that is what kept me away.  I know plenty have gotten decent deals on fivers when they run a good sale, but I just cant bring myself to buy from them...

Brlesq

Don't fret, Thompson lovers!  You will get the same crappy customer service, spam and poor delivery that you've grown to hate as they merge the Thompson business into their Cigar International business in Bethlehem, PA.  

I'm sorry for the employees in FL, but no fond farewell's for Thompson here.  

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

DonM

QuoteBrlesq - 3/29/2019  12:56 PM

Don't fret, Thompson lovers!  You will get the same crappy customer service, spam and poor delivery that you've grown to hate as they merge the Thompson business into their Cigar International business in Bethlehem, PA.  

I'm sorry for the employees in FL, but no fond farewell's for Thompson here.  

As Bruce pointed out:

https://www.cigaraficionado.com/article/thompson-cigar-relocating-to-pennsylvania

"The Curmudgeon"

arrow34

That is a good point....  but we can hope that by merging them... better prices and customer service????

Brlesq

Quotearrow34 - 3/29/2019  10:31 AM

That is a good point....  but we can hope that by merging them... better prices and customer service????
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

nirab

Paying less is fine, but expecting top notch service, along with cut rate pricing, is an impossible expectation to be met. I don't mind paying a bit more for great products, when the service is there to match. Cost of living pricing is what we need...along with a cost of living increase in wages...and for a while now, that cost of living increase has been null and void...
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Cfickter

Quotenirab - 3/29/2019  11:56 AM  Paying less is fine, but expecting top notch service, along with cut rate pricing, is an impossible expectation to be met. I don't mind paying a bit more for great products, when the service is there to match. Cost of living pricing is what we need...along with a cost of living increase in wages...and for a while now, that cost of living increase has been null and void...

They should see some cost savings from the combined operations. Economies of scale on warehousing and shipping, should also expect an inventory reduction and more buying power for STG.  I never thought that CI's packing was all that great either. 

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

gitfiddl

Maybe I just lucked out. but Thompson was the first place I ever ordered cigars from way back when I started in 2008.  I have never received a phone call from them and I get no more email from them than I do from any other vendor.  I still have several of their "cherrywood" desktop humidors I picked up back then as part of various "combo" deals that ran about $30.  The humidors are among the most stable desktops I own.  My oldest sons have a couple that I've given him.  Their housebrand cigars are nothing to speak of, although I confess I have a certain sentimental attachment to their Don Lugo and Phoenix brands.  And I remember their Match Play brand being decent, too.

Somehow, I missed the news about Thompson being purchased by STG last year, but last May, I ordered a 10-pack of La Boheme Pittore cigars from CI.  When I got my order, I was surprised to get two fivers, both of which had Thompson labeling on the cellophane wrapper.  I contacted CI asking about it, and the rep was clueless.

So with Thompson moving/shutting down in Tampa, Altadis having shuttered Hav-A-Tampa's Tampa operation in five years ago, and Swisher International closing down in Jacksonville a couple years back, I guess that leaves JC Newman in Tampa as the last big cigar operation in Florida.  Granted, Fuente, Don Pepin Garcia and a couple of other big names have small operations in the Miami area and there are still smaller boutique-y operations around the state, but the days of Florida's dominance in the cigar world are long gone.  

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

jagfandaddy

"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
 George Burns

1sgjeffward

Even though it's Thompson closing outlets seems to be a bigger and bigger trend as time goes on :cry:
Jeff

"Trust those who seek the truth but doubt those who say they have found it."

? André Gide

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=1sgjeffward

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.