AFR-75 Maduro or Claro ????

Started by arrow34, 04/18/2019 06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arrow34

Hi All,

I just got some "new" afr-75 maduros from cigarpage.com.  

See attached - one is the older afr-75 maduro on the right. The left cigars are new afr-75 maduro "sublimes... I can't imagine that there would be that much of a difference in the new production??? They look light enough to almost be the AFR-75 claro.  

I called customer service at cigarpage and they even opened a new box of the afr-75 maduro sublimes and they said that the new batch is lighter in color. Are they mistaken or ?  What do you think?  I am shocked...  That is a huge difference.

Kid Montana

Quotearrow34 - 4/18/2019  4:41 PM

Hi All,

I just got some "new" afr-75 maduros from cigarpage.com.  

See attached - one is the older afr-75 maduro on the right. The left cigars are new afr-75 maduro "sublimes... I can't imagine that there would be that much of a difference in the new production??? They look light enough to almost be the AFR-75 claro.  

I called customer service at cigarpage and they even opened a new box of the afr-75 maduro sublimes and they said that the new batch is lighter in color. Are they mistaken or ?  What do you think?  I am shocked...  That is a huge difference.

No pics? :confused:

I'd rather have a cigar...

arrow34

sorry first version of the pic was too big...

headfirst

Yeah that's like habano vs maduro, huh...
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

arrow34

Quoteheadfirst - 4/18/2019  8:18 PM

Yeah that's like habano vs maduro, huh...

I agree... but cp is saying that they are the maduro.  OR what pdr sent them as the maduro.  I sent pdr an email.  Lets see what they say :)

ninfiction

A good case for differentiating bands on similar cigars.

They could have a lighter batch of wrappers for sure but that is huge difference.

The few that I've smoked have been much darker like your older one in the pic.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

gitfiddl

Ten years ago or so, I had a similar experience with a couple boxes of Savoy Corona Grande maduros, purchased about three months apart.  The wrappers on the second box were decidedly lighter.  I didn't notice any difference in flavor.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

arrow34

Well. I smoked one last night and there is a difference in flavor.  I had done the same thing with the AFR-75 Maduro imenso too, so kind of comparing apples to apples...  It isn't a bad cigar (new one I got) just not as deep of a flavor.  

Also I posted to their facebook page with the question and they deleted my post???? So I reposted it.

gitfiddl

Quotearrow34 - 4/19/2019  10:16 AM

Well. I smoked one last night and there is a difference in flavor.  I had done the same thing with the AFR-75 Maduro imenso too, so kind of comparing apples to apples...  It isn't a bad cigar (new one I got) just not as deep of a flavor.  

Also I posted to their facebook page with the question and they deleted my post???? So I reposted it.

Blend change due to availability issues?
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

arrow34

They have not responded to me. I was hoping order would respond and say that it is the new release...

c9belayer

In Nicaragua I learned the word "maduro" doesn't actually mean "darker." Maduro is a treatment of tobacco leaf, and yes -- it does darken the leaf somewhat; but it all depends on how light the leaf was to begin with. And this being a natural product, there's bound to be a difference in colors, especially year-over-year. You can't actually look at a leaf and say "Oh that's a Maduro." You need to get that info from the manufacturer.

With all that said, the photos above show rather extreme color differences, far more than I saw on the sorting tables, so maybe there was a mistake somewhere along the line? Humans made the product, after all. Can't wait to see their email response...
-- c9belayer

arrow34

I totally agree with your answer and that is what I am familiar with also.  I Also have smoked the larger size of this stick.  I am just floored at the difference... I did email them and haven't heard back.  So.. might have to call.

arrow34

Well, PDR didn't answer, so I called and they pretty much brushed me off.  The just said their production hasn't changed and they cant say as to what cigarpage is selling or age of the product...  Kinda put out.  But hey, that is cool.  I guess this is the last afr-75 purchase for me.  I am going to have another comparison and see if the afr-75 Maduro imenso is that good or am i smoking something else.   CP confirmed they opened the Maduro to check it.  So... I guess it is just lighter.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.