Where to start with Padron?

Started by tuck0411, 04/20/2019 10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuck0411

Cigar Page has what looks like some nice deals on Padron five packs through tomorrow.  I have not tried any variety of Padron, so any advice on what to start with that won't break the bank?

https://www.cigarpage.com/padron-slashings-for-you.html
Todd

"Those sticks won't smoke themselves..." -- OZZ

Kid Montana

Buy a 5er of the same size but in Maduro and Natural to see which one you like.  The 1964 Anniversary Maduros are my favorites, but folks tend to prefer either the Nats or the Mads but not necessarily both, at least in the same vitola.

I'd rather have a cigar...

MusicCity

Cigary

Good deal on the 2000 maduros as well as the Churchill's. They tend to rest very well for 2 years and are better. .. .the Churches about a year and they tend to get too mild. .. maduros tend to be the better with Padron IMHO. 

tuck0411

Thanks for the advice...  I just ordered a fiver each of the 2000s in Nat and Mad.  Those '64 sticks are not in my budget at the moment...   :smoker2:
Todd

Kid Montana

For what its worth, Padron need to be "sipped" and really reward leisurely smokers.  I tend to smoke fast so I must focus on slowing things down when smoking a Padron.  Their tobacco is aged significantly longer than normal, both before and after rolling, while the bunching is slightly loose, resulting in a cigar that tends to have a wide open draw but beautiful flavors if you don't over-heat it.

I'd rather have a cigar...

05Venturer

Any of the 1000 series are a great budget stick and get fantastic with some age on them.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

frankj1

Quotetuck0411 - 4/21/2019  12:54 PM

Thanks for the advice...  I just ordered a fiver each of the 2000s in Nat and Mad.  Those '64 sticks are not in my budget at the moment...   :smoker2:
this was a good decision. As others said, they age well, but I always liked them rott too.
Yes, they draw very easily so don't rush them or they will heat up.
Not a lot of taste comparisons out there, if any, one of the few brands that handles everything from seed to distribution in house (unless that has changed recently) so they are also remarkably consistent from year to year.

Cfickter

QuoteKid Montana - 4/21/2019  10:17 AM  For what its worth, Padron need to be "sipped" and really reward leisurely smokers.  I tend to smoke fast so I must focus on slowing things down when smoking a Padron.  Their tobacco is aged significantly longer than normal, both before and after rolling, while the bunching is slightly loose, resulting in a cigar that tends to have a wide open draw but beautiful flavors if you don't over-heat it.

Agree, needs to be slow smoked, also not good to cut and relight later.

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

DonM

QuoteCfickter - 4/22/2019  11:01 AM

QuoteKid Montana - 4/21/2019  10:17 AM  For what its worth, Padron need to be "sipped" and really reward leisurely smokers.  I tend to smoke fast so I must focus on slowing things down when smoking a Padron.  Their tobacco is aged significantly longer than normal, both before and after rolling, while the bunching is slightly loose, resulting in a cigar that tends to have a wide open draw but beautiful flavors if you don't over-heat it.

Chuck......I agree wholeheartedly!  My apologies in advance if someone does, but who in their right mind would cut a half smoked cigar expecting it to taste like something other than charred ass?

:confused:

"The Curmudgeon"

nirab

A Padron is always good, in my experience. I like both the natural and maduro. Like Dan mentioned, take your time with a Padron and you will be rewarded.  :biggrin:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

tuck0411

QuoteDonM - 4/22/2019  6:17 AM

QuoteCfickter - 4/22/2019  11:01 AM

Chuck......I agree wholeheartedly!  My apologies in advance if someone does, but who in their right mind would cut a half smoked cigar expecting it to taste like something other than charred ass?

:confused:

Hi Don!

I think we agreed some time ago that I wasn't in my right mind.  Have never claimed to be, in fact!

That said, if it makes anyone feel any better, I likely won't do what you speak of with my inbound Padrons...   :smoker2:
Todd

DonM

Tuck-  You getting a little self conscious?  I was not calling anyone out by name and couldn't recall who said that they do the practice of cutting a cigar after smoking part of it.  If you do and it works for you, fine.

My single experience with the practice had less than positive results.  

Enjoy the Padron's!  :bigthumbs:

"The Curmudgeon"

tuck0411

You posted what you posted in my thread, so I don't imagine you were going after anyone else.... Not to mention the subject you jumped on was one of the things I was taken to task for the last time we had our little dust-up...

Whatever.  Yes, I intend to enjoy the Padrons, thanks.
Todd

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.