It has been a long time, for me and my cigars

Started by Joelala, 04/22/2019 02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joelala

Hey guys,

I have been away quite a while, not only from this fantastic group but also from cigars. Life has just been crazy and I haven't even had time to smoke. I have a 3rd baby boy now who is almost 1, and I had a pretty serious surgery that I am finally recovered from so I am hoping to get back into stogies and this group. I do have a question:

My sticks have been sitting at about 50% humidity for months. Some of them are noticeably dry. Am I out of luck? Do I need start over or can they be nursed back to life? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I have about 75-100 sticks sitting in a tupperdore.

Edit: typo
Joe

Kid Montana

:sad:  Welcome back Joe, its been a while indeed!  Get a big boveda in there and wait a few weeks then smoke some.   Its the only way to really decide. :confused:

I'd rather have a cigar...

Joelala

Joe

Cfickter

QuoteKid Montana - 4/22/2019  3:56 PM  :sad:  Welcome back Joe, its been a while indeed!  Get a big boveda in there and wait a few weeks then smoke some.   Its the only way to really decide. :confused:

Once a week rotate your stock also. But it also depends on the humidor and how many cigars inside.  If all you do is throw in Bovidas in and your cedar lining is also dry then that will soak up part of the humidity and your cigars will not recover as quickly.  I would re-start the humidor as if it was new.  Put the cigars a tupperdore for now and re-season the Humidor.

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Brlesq

Good to see you Joe!  All of the above advice, plus proceed SLOWLY. A 69 or 72% Boveda should be fine, and check it after a couple of weeks to see if you need a refreshed Boveda.  Just let those cigars sit for 6-8 weeks before jumping back in.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

headfirst

When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

ntanner

Good to see you back around Joe.

I think they can be recovered but gonna need to be patient and go slow. I personally would leave them right where they are and toss in a couple Boveda's, have more on standby as a dry humi will suck them up pretty quickly at first, how many you need depends on what size pack's you use. over a few week's you should be able to bring the whole thing back into desirable conditions. open it as little as possible, just to refresh pack's at first is best and let the cigars and the wood slowly refresh together, slows the process of seasoning but it also keep's the stogies from getting to much moisture to fast limiting any swelling or wrapper split's as they recover. Has worked well for me in the past.

Just my .02
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Joelala

Thanks all, I hope to be active here again
Joe

nirab

The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Otter

R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

benchjockey

You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

05Venturer

Hey buddy, welcome back brother.
Grab a couple of the big 320 gram bovedas and toss em in the tupperdor with the sticks and give em a few weeks. They'll be fine
I would add be a little gentle moving them around as being dry the wrappers are gonna be kinda fragile
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

quickme

DonM

"The Curmudgeon"

Joelala

Its nice to check this site 2 days in a row :). Glad to be back
Joe

bstessl

Welcome back!  This should help with the reconstituting process...  9505510433979113352263
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

Joelala

Quotebstessl - 4/23/2019  2:13 PM

Welcome back!  This should help with the reconstituting process...  9505510433979113352263

This group never ceases to amaze me with its generosity.

Thank you!
Joe

Joelala

So the link below is one of the main reasons I have been missing in action. About 24 months ago I was diagnosisEd with SCDS. It's a issue with the bone between your brain and and you eat that cause you to hear every sound your body makes. From your heart beat, to your eyes moving, to your feet stomping on the ground. At first I didn't want to get it fixed but decided I needed to after I almost fell over chasing my kid around the park. In November 2018 I had surgery  to fix it where they cut into my head, lifted my brain, and repaired the hole in that bone. I feel a lot better now but I do wear a hearing aid because of some hearing loss I have and I also have tinnitus now which is ringing in my right ear 24/7. Both are better than the other symptoms I was having and I now do not hear my body functioning. Just wanted to put this out there because sometimes problems we have aren't visual.

https://imgur.com/a/oIbwENh
Joe

05Venturer

Wow brother, sounds like everything turned out for the better tho.
Glad to have you back and glad to hear you are doing better.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

DonM

Damn Joe you have been through a bunch of BS and back.  Glad to see you come back to us, you deserve a cigar after all of that.  

"The Curmudgeon"

Joelala

QuoteDonM - 4/23/2019  7:50 PM

Damn Joe you have been through a bunch of BS and back.  Glad to see you come back to us, you deserve a cigar after all of that.  

Found some guys at work that smoke almost every Friday at a local lounge, they got me going again :). Just need to bring my sticks back so I can stop smoking sticks fresh out of the store's humidor
Joe

junglepete

Welcome back Joe, glad to hear you will once again be enjoying a few more sticks. Cheers!
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.