Construction or Flavor

Started by Koop, 04/29/2019 10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koop

When I started smoking cigars - only a year ago - I was most impressed by construction. I valued a stick that burned without issues above all. Over time I've found that many burn issues are due to outside influences, not necessarily construction or quality of tobacco. Things like wind while smoking, storage and unstable shipping conditions. Now, I like to let my cigars rest for at least a week after online purchase and I can accept a touch up or two if the flavor profile fits for me. Of course my favorites burn correctly and have great flavor. What do you think.

DonM

A cigar stored at the proper RH eliminates most issues with construction and flavor unless it is a dog rocket.  No fixing a dog rocket

:biggrin:

"The Curmudgeon"

Beegerply

I think any time you have something handmade is some cases there is going to be issues. To me as long as I don't have a draw issue all is good.  :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

arrow34

I agree with Bryon and Don on their points.  I have had some of my favorite cigar require a touch up or even a relight.  I prefer to not have to do that. But sometimes it is worth it.  There has to be a balance between flavor and construction.  You can have a great burning stick that tastes meh.  I would prefer to have to correct an amazing stick...  

I did have an amazing cigar that had a draw that was a bit too tight.  Made me wish I had a cigar poker...  Do others use them?

MacMac

Storage is important. I do agree that a handmade work (of art), may occasionally have a problem. Perhaps a wrapper leaf edge is loose or a stem got into the blend....occasionally most any brand can have a cigar that "lets you down." But, this will be rare with good quality cigars from good brands.
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.