Another N00b

Started by CW Piperman, 06/07/2019 07:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CW Piperman

Hello All!

I've been a pipe smoker for a year, and recently became interested in the cigar hobby as well. It's a fascinating world indeed. As I live in a state where it is absolutely forbidden to purchase or trade any form of tobacco via Internet/Mail-Order (MI), I am lucky to have a very good tobacconist fairly close to me. I'm only 2 weeks into cigar smoking, and I am really enjoying it. I tend to jump in with both feet, and so after a couple of initial cigars (NUB Cameroon 460 and Oliva Serie G) recommended by my tobacconist, I decided to take the plunge. I've created a Pelican Case Humidor (Pelidor) containing cedar trays and a Boveda Cedar holder with 2 60gm 69%s and a Sensorpush (Calibrated) hygrometer. My cigars are still in zip-locks with Bovedas until the humidity in the Pelidor stabilizes. After throwing myself at the mercy of my tobacconist (as I initially did with pipe tobacco), here is what I came away with (2 each of the first two, one of each of the rest):

NUB Cameroon 460
Nub Connetticut
Padron 2000
Oliva Sirie G
AF Chateau Fuente Natural
Perdomo Habano Maduro
La Aroma de Cuba Monarch
Flor de Las  Antillas Toro
AF Hemmingway Signature Natural
Perdomo Lot 23 Toro Natural
Crema Particulares Robusto
Ashton Magnum
Asylum 13 Oblongata
Undercrown Robusto Maduro
New World Navegante Robusto

Any other suggestions (assuming I can get them thru my tobacconist), or comments on the above selections? As with my pipe journey, I have been doing a LOT of reading on the Internet, and when I visited my B&M I mentioned that I did want a variety of different flavors and strengths; I THINK I'm experienced enough with pipe tobacco to know when to take a break....  :biggrin:

Anyway, have a great day all!

CW
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" --J.R.R. Tolkein, #Bilbo #LOTR #TFOTR

Humidor: http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=CW+Piperman

headfirst

Fantastic intro and welcome!  Man I thought I had it bad in California, no online purchases?!

Nice variety of wrappers, countries, and strengths there.  Enjoy the journey!
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

benchjockey

Welcome aboard. I can't even imagine not being able to buy online.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

CW Piperman

Quoteheadfirst - 6/7/2019  10:09 AM

Fantastic intro and welcome!  Man I thought I had it bad in California, no online purchases?!

Nice variety of wrappers, countries, and strengths there.  Enjoy the journey!

Sadly, no. Or driving out of state, and bringing back. Penalties include 500% tax due (32%), confiscation of product and vehicle used (if used), and/or 5 yrs prison and/or $5000 fine). Even if taxes are paid (and I would be totally willing to), still illegal.
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" --J.R.R. Tolkein, #Bilbo #LOTR #TFOTR

Humidor: http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=CW+Piperman

Murphy223

Welcome to the group

Vroomp

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Koop

Welcome. Looks like you have great variety to start with and find what fits your wheelhouse. Remember, your taste will likely change over time. Mine have really evolved over about 14 months of daily cigar smoking.

CW Piperman

Thanks, all for the kind welcome!  Looking forward to learning as I go. It's been great fun and very relaxing so far.

CW

StogieDad

Nice to have you!  Definitely some nice selections in there even for experienced smokers!  Just keep trying things and then you can stock a few of things you like, let others go.  We are always open to offering suggestions based on sticks you like, so hang around, I'm sure you will enjoy.

Personally, the Padron, Fuente Signature, and La Aroma de Cuba are really nice smokes, and I enjoy several other on that list.  Sounds like a good weekend....
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Otter

Welcome to the group!
R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

ninfiction

Welcome to the group CW! Looks like a great start to me. As Micheal stated, just keep trying different things. It's a fun journey.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

klamm143

Welcome - from North Carolina.
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

1sgjeffward

Welcome from Northern Colorado! And you know what I bet we can ship cigars to you that are gifts or even trades :lmao:
Jeff

"Trust those who seek the truth but doubt those who say they have found it."

? André Gide

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=1sgjeffward

nirab

Welcome from beeuudaful Buda, Texas!!  :biggrin:  :bigthumbs:

I run a cigar shop here in Buda, and I am willing to ship direct to you. We can conduct payment over the phone, so no internet ordering! Loopholes!!

I would also be willing to do a blind trade to help you get going. If you are interested, shoot me a PM.  :bigthumbs:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Joelala

welcome from the Windy City
Joe

appollo

Welcome to the site from the GWN.Looks like your choices so far have been right on the money.

CW Piperman

Quoteappollo - 6/8/2019  5:59 PM

Welcome to the site from the GWN.Looks like your choices so far have been right on the money.

Thanks. I have really enjoyed it. The Nub Cameroon was great, and so far my favorite stick has been the Asylum 13 Maduro Box Pressed. Sweet, with cocoa, caramel, cedar....the sweetness was very satisfying, and quite pronounced.

CW

CW Piperman

Quotenirab - 6/8/2019  11:58 AM

Welcome from beeuudaful Buda, Texas!!  :biggrin:  :bigthumbs:

I run a cigar shop here in Buda, and I am willing to ship direct to you. We can conduct payment over the phone, so no internet ordering! Loopholes!!

I would also be willing to do a blind trade to help you get going. If you are interested, shoot me a PM.  :bigthumbs:

Thanks  :dancing:

ntanner

I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Cfickter

Welcome,
Michigan gets away with this not by outlawing internet sales but requiring anyone selling tobacco products into the state be state approved.  What retailer, on-line or B&M wants to go thru that.  Michigan's tobacco use is higher than the national average so I am sure the great leadership of the state says, "hey! lets stop people form smoking by limiting their choices" Not!

Not being able to mail order will greatly limit your selection and opportunities to try newer stuff so some B&M house brands.
But you have a good list to start with.  Early in the game swing wide and try everything you can to find your preferred profile.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Beegerply

Welcome from Illinois enjoy the site.  :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

CW Piperman

QuoteCfickter - 6/10/2019  8:19 AM

Welcome,
Michigan gets away with this not by outlawing internet sales but requiring anyone selling tobacco products into the state be state approved.  What retailer, on-line or B&M wants to go thru that.  Michigan's tobacco use is higher than the national average so I am sure the great leadership of the state says, "hey! lets stop people form smoking by limiting their choices" Not!

Not being able to mail order will greatly limit your selection and opportunities to try newer stuff so some B&M house brands.
But you have a good list to start with.  Early in the game swing wide and try everything you can to find your preferred profile.

I do have a local B&M that can order LOTS of things; the managers are very helpful and basically simply ask what I want them to order, and they do so through the appropriate state-approved folks and procedures. The owner of said establishment has been instrumental in maintaining a Cigar Bar/Tobacconist shop here, working to protect cigar and pipe smoking rights, as well as keeping the tax on premium cigars capped at $0.50.

Cfickter

QuoteCW Piperman - 6/10/2019  11:27 AM  
QuoteCfickter - 6/10/2019  8:19 AM  Welcome,  Michigan gets away with this not by outlawing internet sales but requiring anyone selling tobacco products into the state be state approved.  What retailer, on-line or B&M wants to go thru that.  Michigan's tobacco use is higher than the national average so I am sure the great leadership of the state says, "hey! lets stop people form smoking by limiting their choices" Not!   Not being able to mail order will greatly limit your selection and opportunities to try newer stuff so some B&M house brands. But you have a good list to start with.  Early in the game swing wide and try everything you can to find your preferred profile.
I do have a local B&M that can order LOTS of things; the managers are very helpful and basically simply ask what I want them to order, and they do so through the appropriate state-approved folks and procedures. The owner of said establishment has been instrumental in maintaining a Cigar Bar/Tobacconist shop here, working to protect cigar and pipe smoking rights, as well as keeping the tax on premium cigars capped at $0.50.

Good to hear you have local support, supporting the CRA will help also.
But I am just saying, if a certain someone, posted a certain address on their profile sometime magic happens!

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

CW Piperman

QuoteCfickter - 6/12/2019  8:16 AM

QuoteCW Piperman - 6/10/2019  11:27 AM  
QuoteCfickter - 6/10/2019  8:19 AM  Welcome,  Michigan gets away with this not by outlawing internet sales but requiring anyone selling tobacco products into the state be state approved.  What retailer, on-line or B&M wants to go thru that.  Michigan's tobacco use is higher than the national average so I am sure the great leadership of the state says, "hey! lets stop people form smoking by limiting their choices" Not!   Not being able to mail order will greatly limit your selection and opportunities to try newer stuff so some B&M house brands. But you have a good list to start with.  Early in the game swing wide and try everything you can to find your preferred profile.

Good to hear you have local support, supporting the CRA will help also.
But I am just saying, if a certain someone, posted a certain address on their profile sometime magic happens!

I'll chat with that someone!

CW

CW Piperman

Hey all,

Just got back from shopping and a stop at the Cigar Bar/Tobbaconist. I've been trying lots of things, from the mild to med to the med->Full bodied sticks, this time, as a lover of some very strong pipe blends, I asked my tobacco guide to take me on an adventure into the full-bodied sticks. Here's what I came away with:

3 Fuente Anejos Robusto
2 Fuente Anejo Churchill
2 Padron 1964 Anniversary Pyramide
2 Oliva Serie V Robusto Maduro
1 Undercrown Maduro
2 Perdomo Double Aged 12 yrs Robusto Maduro
2 Asylum 13 Oblongata 60x60 Box Pressed
2 Liga Privada Robusto

Picked up a Xicar Vx2 cutter to go with my Xicar XO, and I think I'm set to go. Going to get all of these into my virtual humidor...feel free to look into that to see what I have, and what you'd recommend. I've tried 1 of almost everything in the humidor so far, and the above I'm adding to try next. I love the Asylum 13 and the Anejos, so those aren't new, but the rest are.

Cheers,

CW

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.