new wineador

Started by Valetnlv, 06/26/2019 12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valetnlv

I am setting up my wineador, after a week it holds  at 66.7 degrees and about 78 %humidity. I saw a chart that said I should be a tad higher humidity. It is empty now but putting 150 sticks in down the road. I keep it plugged in and drain open not plugged. Have fan for air flow too. Thanks

ricoishere

Whoa, Wait, Halt, Freeze, Stop, MINE!

That 78% might be for wine, however it should be 67%-70% for cigars. For long term storage, 67%.

QuoteValetnlv - 6/26/2019  1:05 PM

I am setting up my wineador, after a week it holds  at 66.7 degrees and about 78 %humidity. I saw a chart that said I should be a tad higher humidity. It is empty now but putting 150 sticks in down the road. I keep it plugged in and drain open not plugged. Have fan for air flow too. Thanks
I got way too many cigars, too much booze, not many friends. Life is GRAND.
-Rico

"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle." -George Burns

My humidor
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=ricoishere

Valetnlv

The chart on site above says different

shakinghorizons

That high of humidity WILL without question, cause mold.

ninfiction

You might be losing some out of the drain. I could be wrong but I think a lot of guys that have them plug the drain hole.

Also, RH is a fickle beast. In my opinion 70/70 is too high and most guys around the sub will agree. I shoot for an average of 65% regardless of the temp. I can almost guarantee that anything higher than 70% at any temp will result in wetter than ideal cigars.

Let's say that the chart is the end all be all. My opinion still stands that 70/70 is too high and you want to be closer to 65%. That means at 66-67 degrees you would want to be 73% RH give or take.

Have you calibrated your hygrometer? Most often they are off a couple %. Do you have multiple hygrometers? Often the RH will vary from top to bottom even with a fan going.

Personally I still wouldn't go over 70% rh at any temp, but you have to find what works for you.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

ntanner

I think the chart is a great explanation of how temp and RH work in respect to each other and in a perfect world where the temp never changes maybe you could make that work but in reality if you keep your RH that hi your going to have some serious smoking issues after you scrape the mold off your cigars. A good starting point would be around 67 percent and see how your cigars smoke. You can then adjust as necessary from there. Just my .02
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Valetnlv

Yes both have been calibrated. Everything I read say mold will not form under 70 or less of a chance for it to form.

Cfickter

What I get out the material on the link is they suggest controlling humidity by controlling the temperature. This just seems the wrong approach.
They don't seem to talk about the influences of using RH control like Bovidas to stabilize Rh during temp swings
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Valetnlv

If you can control the temp as I can then why won't that work

wescat

QuoteValetnlv - 6/26/2019  2:45 PM

Yes both have been calibrated. Everything I read say mold will not form under 70 or less of a chance for it to form.
I have been storing my tobacco since 2009 in the temperature range 65-68 degrees Fahrenheit. Mold will grow on cigars stored within that temperature range when %RH goes above ~ 70%. I keep my box at 65-68 %RH, and mold will still occasionally grow under a cedar sleeve, or tissue paper, so I always remove them.

The very best indication that tobacco has been properly stored is how does it smoke? I notice a substantial correlation between ease of draw and %RH, and taste and %RH. A wet cigar has a tight draw, and tarry flavors.

I have some 14 year old cigars that smoke and taste damn fine.

Here is a typical data capture from my box.
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

Valetnlv

klamm143

BADDA BING........that Wescat (Kevin)......able to provide a EKG for his Humi / Sticks.......................MY HERO!!!!!!
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

bstessl

Take it from the community, you don't want to be over 70%.  Speaking of The Community... You should introduce yourself in the "newbie intro" section so we can get to know you a little better.  Tastes, preferences, favorites and whatnot.  Welcome to the site!
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

Valetnlv

Thank you all , I will shoot for 66 degrees which is 100% possible and between 65and 70% humidity. Thank again.

1sgjeffward

QuoteValetnlv - 6/27/2019  10:35 PM

Thank you all , I will shoot for 66 degrees which is 100% possible and between 65and 70% humidity. Thank again.

Temp does for sure have an effect. However, you just need to keep in mind that the temp in most homes will run between 66-74 depending on your daily comfort level. Your not going to be opening the thing up 10 times a day so even if the temp in the room does swing the wine fridge itself is insulated so that temp is NOT going to change much at all. Long story short unless your dealing with some extreme temperatures don't get all wrapped up in the temp. That 65%-70% is where all of your focus should be.

If you just focus on that RH then your troubles are over. I know everyone is throwing in opinions so of course here is mine. I would start at the 65% for these reasons.
1. at 65% mold is PRETTY much out of the game
2. an overly moist cigar can be very similar to a cigar that is just really tight or one that is poorly constructed. Continually going out, tight draw etc. so it can be hard to figure out is my RH too high or is it just a crappy cigar.
3. The opposite is true for a cigar at that 65% level. If it's just burning fast, REALLY easy draw and the cap or wrapper just seem kind of crunchy that IS being kept at too low of an RH.
4. Starting at that 65% if you find number 3 to be true just bump it up 1% at a time until your cigars are smoking the way you want them to.

Now remember you raise OR lower your RH by even that 1% you have to give the cigars a good week or two just for them to adjust. What most people don't take into account is that you drop that RH by what seems like a little 1% its the CENTER of the cigar that has to make it!!
UP 1% cigar will moisturize from the outside in. Soaks into the wrapper then each additional inside layer.
DOWN 1% the will loose moisture from the inside out. Wrapper will dry HOWEVER the moisture your center looses HAS to pass through the wrapper to get out.

Sorry for entirely TMI!
Welcome from Northern Colorado!
Jeff

"Trust those who seek the truth but doubt those who say they have found it."

? André Gide

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=1sgjeffward

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.