A Little Hiccup

Started by 05Venturer, 07/06/2019 05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

05Venturer

Hey Geeks, Last weekend me and the girlfriend went up to my property up North for a weekend away that got shortened a bit. Saturday evening after celebrating a bit with a few adult beverages and a few cigars we hit the sack and a couple hours later I woke up unable to get any air into my lungs, after doing all I could I woke up the girlfriend and we ended up heading to the hospital where I ended up getting an ambulance ride to a better equipped hospital as I was having heart failure. 3 days later they let me head for home, I got lucky to come out of it above the ground and with zero heart damage. A pretty good wake up call for me that I may need to change my ways a bit. I emptied my kitchen cupboards from any prepackaged foods and have reduced my sodium intake by about 1000% from what I was eating and am on the right track. Cutting back to a few cigars a week instead of a few a day and looking to lose about 75 lbs. After going thru a divorce of just shy of 30 years and a lot of stress at work lately my blood pressure had gone out of control and my regular doc wasn't able to reel it in in time as that had a big part of the heart failure, plenty of things worth changing some bad habits to hang around for a bit longer. Just thought I would toss out an update on whats happening in my life.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

appollo

Sounds like your getting a handle on it KentTake care of yourself buddyYour health comes first and do whatever it takes to get you there :-)

biggsy16

Health and family first Kent, sending warm wishes your way
Never done being a Dad

c9belayer

Dodged a bullet there, Kent. Best of luck with those healthy lifestyle changes. We're pulling for you!
-- c9belayer

ninfiction

Anything you need brother, you know where to find me. Glad to hear you're making some "better" choices. We aren't 22 anymore.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Silverstix

WOW Kent that is scary stuff, obviously glad to hear you came out of it ok with a very serious warning. I was pushing 290lbs eating like crap. I've lost 27lbs in the last 2 months just by changing my diet and I really feel great. We actually ate a little heavy last night and we felt like garbage afterwards. I use an app on my phone called My Fitness Pal, you enter your weight and your goal weight and it tells you how many calories per day you can have to hit that goal. It's baducally a digitize food diary. It also shows you sodium, carbohydrates, sugar, etc so you can track everything. It's no real secret as to what is healthy, although some things you will notice are surprisingly unhealthy.

junglepete

Scary I'm sure. All the best Kent.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Koop

Scary. Glad it's working out for you. Take care!

ntanner

Glad you came out in good shape. One heck of a wake up call but at least that's all it was this time.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Otter

Wakeup call for sure! I'm glad you are still alive and kicking!!
R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

StogieDad

Stay healthy brother.  We are here for you, get that stress controlled, nasty stuff.  Hang in there.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Adwinistrator

Glad you made it through that ordeal and have the chance to get your health on the right track.  It's scary stuff, but that's what it usually takes for us to really make the changes we need to.

Hope your recovery is speedy, and you health is improving.

BewareDaPenguin

Absolutely health 1st man!! Have to have health to have anything! Glad you are feeling better and sounds like you have a good plan to keep yourself feeling better so that's great!! Keep it up! Everyone can learn something from this! We are all invincible until we aren't! Good luck but it sounds like you have some good plans in place to keep it that way!
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

arrow34

Glad you are ok. High blood pressure is a silent killer.  I have hb and I reduce my salt and take some light meds to help keep it down. Exercise is key too.

Brlesq

Glad to see you back on the herfs and behaving yourself, buddy.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.