School shooting

Started by headfirst, 11/14/2019 12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

headfirst

It finally hit my neighborhood, 7 people shot, 2 in critical condition.  The school is about 2 miles from my house.  Shooter is in custody, 15-16 year old kid.  Thankful my kids attend a different school slightly closer.  Thankful for law enforcement and vigilant school safety practices that kept this from being any worse.  Praying for the critically injured and for the shooter to come to grips with what he has done.  I don't understand what makes a kid, or anyone, do something like this.

:sad:
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

appollo

Glad to here your family is safe.It blows my mind what these kids must be thinking.

Beegerply

Also glad your kids are fine, it must be hard as parent worrying about things like that today. I could go on a big rant about todays kids and what I feel is there problems but for know I'll leave it as is. Prayers to all the young kids and their family's at this time.  :-(
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

headfirst

I hear you Byron, I didn't say everything I could either as it could easily stir the pot too much.  Just a sad reality of the times.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Beegerply

Lets stir the pot lol :biggrin:
Byron

MacMac

It is a very sad, sad thing to hear about.
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

Chefjohn

That's horrible. We'll certainly keep those families in our prayers.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

ntanner

The pot needs a good stir but everyone is afraid to do it cause we might offend somebody. Well I am offended that this crap is a concern for our kids today and I am offended that our kids have become what they are cause their parents didn't invest the time in them needed to prepare them for the world. I am offended that this great nation has turned into a nation of whining little bitches and until we get serious about it and quit sweeping it under the rug then we are going to continue to see these stories in the news.

Sorry for the rant. I am glad your family is safe and my heart goes out to those who were affected by this horrible act of violence.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Beegerply

Quotentanner - 11/15/2019  1:26 AM

The pot needs a good stir but everyone is afraid to do it cause we might offend somebody. Well I am offended that this crap is a concern for our kids today and I am offended that our kids have become what they are cause their parents didn't invest the time in them needed to prepare them for the world. I am offended that this great nation has turned into a nation of whining little bitches and until we get serious about it and quit sweeping it under the rug then we are going to continue to see these stories in the news.

Sorry for the rant. I am glad your family is safe and my heart goes out to those who were affected by this horrible act of violence.

I agree kids today have no values, respect, or morels because of todays snowflake, marshmallow, world.   :biggrin:
Byron

headfirst

Quotentanner - 11/14/2019  11:26 PM

Yup.
-Charles Spurgeon

nirab

It's easy to label this as whining little kids, and folks who do not parent well. For me, I see it as much deeper than that. Mental health, and those who need assistance, find it both hard to seek help, and avoid the stigma that some place on them. There is nothing wrong with asking for help, but when others see you as weak minded, and speak in terms that do not apply to the real issue, the issue manifests itself. It's hard to put yourself in the shoes of someone who has mental health issues, as a matter of fact, it is impossible. Compassion is lacking, and tolerance is minimal these days. Being kind is not a challenge, it is a choice. There is no way to happiness...happiness is the way...

Before judging our fellow human beings who struggle, consider the fact that it cannot be understood with the knowledge we possess...inform yourself, practice love, compassion and tolerance in daily life...we are all in this together...

Lastly...the one common denominator in most of these shootings...young, white males...why is that?

enjoy today, my brothers and sisters...this is it... :angel:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Adwinistrator

Quotenirab - 11/16/2019  2:18 PM

It's easy to label this as whining little kids, and folks who do not parent well. For me, I see it as much deeper than that. Mental health, and those who need assistance, find it both hard to seek help, and avoid the stigma that some place on them. There is nothing wrong with asking for help, but when others see you as weak minded, and speak in terms that do not apply to the real issue, the issue manifests itself. It's hard to put yourself in the shoes of someone who has mental health issues, as a matter of fact, it is impossible. Compassion is lacking, and tolerance is minimal these days. Being kind is not a challenge, it is a choice. There is no way to happiness...happiness is the way...

Before judging our fellow human beings who struggle, consider the fact that it cannot be understood with the knowledge we possess...inform yourself, practice love, compassion and tolerance in daily life...we are all in this together...

Lastly...the one common denominator in most of these shootings...young, white males...why is that?

enjoy today, my brothers and sisters...this is it... :angel:

Thanks for this thoughtful post.  This is an easy issue to paint as black/white, but it doesn't have one simple cause, this is much more complex than that.

And for everyone who wants to say "kids these days", between January 1969 and April 1970, there were approximately 8,200 Bombings, attempted bombings and bomb threats...  Different situation, different causes, different factors, but let's not pretend everything was so peaceful until this generation.

ntanner

Not saying it's kids these days and I am also not quite feeling my brothers compassion either. The kid's today are just a symptom of what my generation has created. I don't blame today's world on the kids. They haven't made their bed yet but us folks in our 40s and 50s, well we are reaping what we sowed. We created this pile of crap and now it's time to roll up our sleeves and start figuring out how we can fix it. Unfortunately that's going to be very difficult but we have to be willing to pay the price and do it or it's going to continue to decay. Maybe armed guards to patrol the schools. Not what I want, to make our schools feel more like a prison then they already do but the safety of my children out weighs my dislike of such drastic measures.  Who has the perfect answer? I know I don't but I feel like my crappy idea would be a better way to deal with it then what we are currently doing.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.