The Proper Way To Smoke a Cigar

Started by Brlesq, 11/21/2019 06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brlesq

Whether your new to smoking cigars, or a veteran that's been smoking for many years, this 8 minute video by Nick Perdomo is full of great tips! I know that I learned something. :smoker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmBeg5YLpns

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

BewareDaPenguin

Yeah great video, I always remove the bands I will for sure attempt to break that habit after that and see if I can pick up on a difference....that is one of my pet peeves tho, he kinda hit on it...I realize they are hand produced products, but you often do damage some part of the wrapper when removing the band, and some bands now are like very large and elaborate, so I like to remove them before lighting.
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

c9belayer

Brilliant. Years of trial and error have brought me to this very same technique. Wish I'd seen this video long ago!
-- c9belayer

RMAN4443

Good stuff, thanks for posting, I got a little bit edumacated... :smoker:
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day,
Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way...

Kid Montana

Well damn, I thought I'd seen most everything but definitely learned something new.

I'd rather have a cigar...

benchjockey

Definitely worth watching. Thanks for posting.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

headfirst

Wow, Nick is a smooth salesman, used the word cigar 62 times by my count!  Great explanation on why to bother toasting the foot.  Thanks for posting.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

appollo

I guess the saying is true "If you pay attention you learn something everyday"

nickthafish

Good video, nice to hear from an expert!

wescat

Thanks for the link Bruce.

I would add: fully hydrate the cap and let it sit for a few minutes before making your cut. Eliminates most cut-induced cracking/unraveling/etc.

"...and you destroy the smoking experience completely." That is not accurate. Bombastic phrasing is not appropriate.

Damn Nick. Who lays out your clothes? That combo is Vaudeville loud.
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

Chefjohn

Great video.  I remember watching it when I first started getting serious about cigars. Thanks for sharing that link. It was good to review.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Cigary

Been doing it this way for decades and it makes a difference for sure

Brlesq

Quotewescat - 11/22/2019  12:27 PM

I would add: fully hydrate the cap and let it sit for a few minutes before making your cut. Eliminates most cut-induced cracking/unraveling/etc.

True, but don't ask to borrow a friend's cutter or use the shop cutter if you do this.  :blech:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

wescat

QuoteBrlesq - 11/23/2019  2:04 PM

True, but don't ask to borrow a friend's cutter or use the shop cutter if you do this.  :blech:

I've made myself a note, don't borrow Bruce's cutter, spit makes him queasy. I shall continue to be careful to use my own.

What did you think of them duds? Garish, no?
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

Cfickter

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

05Venturer

Quotewescat - 11/23/2019  3:03 PM

I've made myself a note, don't borrow Bruce's cutter, spit makes him queasy. I shall continue to be careful to use my own.

What did you think of them duds? Garish, no?

Gotta agree with Bruce, don't wanna swap spit with strangers
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Vroomp

Quote05Venturer - 11/23/2019  8:07 PM  
Quotewescat - 11/23/2019  3:03 PM  
Quotewescat - 11/22/2019  12:27 PM  I would add: fully hydrate the cap and let it sit for a few minutes before making your cut. Eliminates most cut-induced cracking/unraveling/etc.  
I've made myself a note, don't borrow Bruce's cutter, spit makes him queasy. I shall continue to be careful to use my own.  What did you think of them duds? Garish, no?
Gotta agree with Bruce, don't wanna swap spit with strangers

What about with friends? :confused:

I have always moistened my cap if I plan to use a punch, but for other cuts I just make sure to use a decent cutter. Most 4-way shop cutters are dull as hell~! :shades:

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

c9belayer

I sure wish shops would sharpen their 4-way cutters. It’s fairly easy to do and makes a world of difference!
-- c9belayer

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.