Cigar afficianado cigar don'ts

Started by sweatsock, 01/20/2020 06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatsock

I don't spend much time on twitter but do get email notifications. I got a link to some CA cigar don'ts.
Some were obvious like don't put a partially smoked cigar in your humidor.

One of them I questioned; don't cut a cigar in half to share. Back when I was more budget conscious, I would buy a Churchill when all sizes for a cigar were the same price and make two 4 1/4 inch cigars. For what I was smoking, I didn't see a difference between the first and second half. CA says that cigars are blended to change from the cap to the foot. Maybe some are but  I expect many decent cigars are not. There are so many great deals on cigars now that I buy the sizes I like and smoke them without modification.

ninfiction

I do think depending on the cigar you're smoking they are blended to transition throughout the cigar. I think the bigger issue with cutting a cigar in half is that it will increase the odds of the wrapper unwrapping since one half won't have a cap to hold it in place.

That being said, as far as I'm concerned if a person spends their money on cigars they can do whatever they like with the cigars. There are many things I wouldn't do, but what works for me might not work for the next guy.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

tuck0411

I still relight partially smoked sticks and enjoy the nubs even though some seem to think it's a form of blasphemy.   Sometimes I even stick 'em back in the cello and stash 'em in the travel humi for later.  :meansmoke:
Todd

"Those sticks won't smoke themselves..." -- OZZ

sweatsock

Relights are simple. When the cigar tastes good, continue smoking otherwise.....

BewareDaPenguin

Agreed, I have "front clipped" a few cigars in my day now they didn't sit for weeks but a couple days I didn't notice a huge drop off, I'm sure a lot of the tar had pulled through some of the leaves but it wasn't tart etc, so agreed if it still smokes and isn't obnoxiously bad, who's to say if you shouldn't smoke it or not?
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

StogieDad

Boy, I had an Opus X Petite Lancero I started and about a quarter in got interrupted and couldn't finish.  So I snipped all the way through until I didn't see anything but unburned tobacco.  Put it back in my travel humidor.  NEVER again.  It took a month to air that thing out and get the stale as smell out.  I tried the cigar a bit later once I got back and it certainly tasted stale.  So if I may get interrupted for an extended time, I just smoke something I don't mind losing out on half.

Now relights really aren't an issue to me, especially if they are after a relatively short period of time.  I have had to leave a cigar for an hour or two or even a bit more, knocked all the burned ash out and fired her up with very little ill effect.  The only problem I have found is that weather conditions can be a detriment.  Nasty, rainy, humid day and let it sit even protected and it will soak some up and affect it.  Same for a hot day drying one out quickly.  

But hey, if you haven't had a bad experience and it gets more value out of a cigar for you, good on you.  Like was mentioned before, my only concern cutting a larger cigar in half would be the foot end unraveling without being constructed to smoke.  That being said, I think I remember CI selling a huge cigar that was designed to be cut in the middle, I think they capped both ends, and you cut dead in the middle.  So the thought certainly isn't new.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

StogieDad

Double Happiness, that was it....

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

arrow34

QuoteStogieDad - 1/21/2020  1:50 PM

Holy crap, I have never seen anything like this, are they real or shopped? to your earlier comment, I have had the same thing happen to me, started a churchill, got interrupted and cut the end, stuck it in my two stick traveler and man did it stink.  I have an old old cigar tube that marketed as a cigar saver. I see they started selling them again.  But I could never get over the taste when i used it, I tried it a few times and gave up.

Brlesq

QuoteStogieDad - 1/21/2020  1:50 PM

I remember those!  Gave a pack to my father in law years ago because he was always cutting his Churchills in half to save "one" for later.  He ended up cutting these into thirds!!  :lmao:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

junglepete

I always cut cigars in 2/3 -1/3 portions when they are cheaper and longer. Especially the 5 Vegas Gold Churchill's. Never have a problem with unraveling because I put the cut end in my mouth and dampen it with a spin in the correct direction. Good to go. I also relight cigars at a later time and most of the time it does not deter from the tastes.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.