Pitchers & Catchers Reporting

Started by Cfickter, 02/11/2020 01:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pitchers & Catchers Reporting

Astros forfeit their 2017 World Series Championship
4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Cfickter

With the beginning of baseball spring training all the news is about the Astros cheating scandal.  

MLB fined then $5M and the manager and GM lost their jobs, two other players who were signed as managers also lost jobs. 

Is that enough?
Here is a poll to find out what you think 

You can pick multiple options 

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

benchjockey

In addition to losing their top two draft picks for the next two seasons, I think the Astros should have lost money from their International Pool. For years the Yankees have made up for low draft picks with international signings. Luis Severino and Gary Sanchez are just two examples.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

Cfickter

Quotebenchjockey - 2/11/2020  3:14 PM  In addition to losing their top two draft picks for the next two seasons, I think the Astros should have lost money from their International Pool. For years the Yankees have made up for low draft picks with international signings. Luis Severino and Gary Sanchez are just two examples.

I like the idea of losing international pool money, a lot of team now have deep programs and even academies in places like the DR.  I think the loss of draft picks plays a much less role in baseball vs the other major sports.  It generally takes time for first round prospects to develop and with the MLB draft being a bizarre mixture of pick and money rules you would have to make sure they do not get compensatory pick, bonus money etc...

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

ninfiction

I think Rob Manfred should be fired. He gave all the players immunity with the hopes of sweeping the whole thing under the rug. The teams weren't really punished, a couple guys lost their jobs. The whole thing was handled poorly with no real punishments handed out except for the couple guys out of jobs.

What about the fact that many players were affected both positively (new contracts) and negatively (out of the bigs)?

I remember the late 90's when the steroid era was also being ignored by baseball. Teams were making money and popularity was on the rise. That's all that matters, not integrity. Manfred wouldn't have done jack squat except the word got out....and he didn't really do anything after the word got out.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Kid Montana

I think everyone close to the scandal should be lined up and shot, their children and spouses publicly humiliated, and everyone else in any MLB organization who played for the Astros between 2017 and 2019 should be banned for life, then revoke the Astros' franchise.  Anything less than that and the armchair adjudicators will never be satisfied.

edit: and yes, I'm salty, and yes I did throw out my 2017 WS championship gear.  its not like I can ever wear it in public again...

I'd rather have a cigar...

BewareDaPenguin

Barry Bonds should be in the Hall of Fame if they let all this stand. He was never found guilty of anything. Don't get me wrong I'm not a Barry Bonds sympathizer (well I guess I am in a way lol) but if cheating is cheating then the whole franchise should be liable. IE they should also "get the death penalty"...no post season for X years, no Intl Pool Money, everything else listed above. It makes me sick baseball writers etc have always "praised" America's Game as clean as apple pie, yet it's still dirty like all sports so get over yourself and own it! If you let this go then let bonds in, let rose in, etc that's how I feel anyways
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

DonM

No horse in this race, not a baseball guy.  But!  It isn't cheating till you get caught.  If you do, take the punishment and move on

"The Curmudgeon"

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.