May Industry Sponsored Geek Critique

Started by Brlesq, 03/28/2020 10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brlesq

This month's critique has been sponsored by Brian Andrew-Desind at Privada Cigar Club:

https://privadacigarclub.com/

Thank you for your generosity! A special thanks also goes out to Todd (tuck0411) for coordinating this!

The Chosen Cigar: Avo LE 05 2017 (Lost Edition)

The Chosen Reviewers:
appollo
arrow34
MacMac
Druff
Brlesq

This cigar shall be reviewed no later than April 26th.  

The smoking lamp is lit!  :smoker:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

appollo

Thanks Todd for the opportunity on this.Never had this sick look forward to smoking it. :-)

arrow34

Wow thanks Todd, excited to try this one. Haven't had it yet and really like Avo sticks, have had the Avo 30yr maduro no2 and that is an amazing stick. This should be just as good if not better as a le stick...excited!

tuck0411

Brian at Privada says the sticks will ship out on Monday.

Just a bit of background on this stick, and it's not in the DB yet (I'm going to submit it for Ninfiction's approval shortly), but it's related to one that is in the DB:
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=cigars;area=showcig;cigar_id=189294&t=AVO_LE_05_30_Years_2018

Couple of articles about that stick:
https://cigar-coop.com/2018/09/cigar-news-avo-le05-returns-for-30th-anniversary.html
https://halfwheel.com/avo-le05/291021/

The stick we're reviewing for the May critique is not the stick discussed in the articles.  According to Brian at Privada, the stick we're reviewing is from a batch of 4000 that were never released and was presumably a test run when they were trying to recreate the LE 05 blend.  They weren't happy with the blend so it wasn't released, but now Privada has them and Brian thinks it's actually better than the official release.  I'm eager to see what you guys think and I should note that I haven't tried this one myself, but will likely have to order one up if it gets good reviews here.  :smoker2:
Todd

"Those sticks won't smoke themselves..." -- OZZ

MacMac

Looking forward to participating!
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

mhuss

I had done a few of these in the past.  Way long ago, it seems.  I'm not sure how one would get back in on this....?  Any help?

Mike

tuck0411

Got an email from Brian at Privada today saying the packages all shipped out today.  He previously said they would ship out last Monday, so not sure why the delay, but at any rate, hopefully they will arrive shortly.  Please let us know when they do, thanks!   :smoker2:
Todd

Brlesq

Received my AVO review cigar today along with a nice hitchhiker: A Matt Booth Micro Batch Privada Cigar Club Exclusive 2020.  Cigars arrived in a fancy foil zip-lock pouch along with a 69% Boveda.  Looking forward to trying both of these, but will give them a few days of rest from their journey first.

I took this chance to cruise around on https://privadacigarclub.com/, and Brian has some unique, eclectic and rare cigars for sale in addition to the monthly cigar club that you can join.  A true Geeks delight!

Bruce
Chief Enabler 

MacMac

Mine arrived today. I am thrilled to be part of this review. Thanks Brian!!!

DRuff

Received it today as well, should get it done this weekend. Thanks !

arrow34

Still waiting. Hoping for tomorrow...

arrow34

Finally arrived!  Will let it rest a few days and do the review soon.  MY review stick came with a hitch hiker as well a  Matt Booth Micro Batch Privada Cigar Club Exclusive 2020(wow)

tuck0411

Glad to hear most of the sticks have arrived.  Appollo's will probably take a little longer going up there to Canada.  

Be interested to hear what you guys think of the hitchhiker, too.  I reviewed that one recently and really enjoyed it.  :smoker2:
Todd

appollo

Quotetuck0411 - 4/11/2020  2:44 PM

Glad to hear most of the sticks have arrived.  Appollo's will probably take a little longer going up there to Canada.  

Be interested to hear what you guys think of the hitchhiker, too.  I reviewed that one recently and really enjoyed it.  :smoker2:
Let you know as soon as I see them.

DRuff

Brlesq

Gentlemen, just a reminder, this review is due by Sunday, April 26.  That's 5 days from now (in case you have lost track of time like many of us lately! :biggrin: )  Only one review has been submitted so far.  Thanks!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

tuck0411

The tracking number shows Appollo's package has not been delivered yet.  Hopefully it will arrive soon.
Todd

appollo

Quotetuck0411 - 4/21/2020  8:57 PM

The tracking number shows Appollo's package has not been delivered yet.  Hopefully it will arrive soon.
I;ve been checking and I will get it done ASAP might need a couple extra days.

arrow34

Brlesq

Quoteappollo - 4/21/2020  8:17 PM

Quotetuck0411 - 4/21/2020  8:57 PM

I;ve been checking and I will get it done ASAP might need a couple extra days.

No worries, Stephen.  

Bruce
Chief Enabler 

MacMac

My Critique is in!!

Looking forward to smoking the Hitchhiker soon!!

appollo

I see on the tracking that it cleared customs on the 26th so I usually see it 4 days later.I will get the review done this weekend if that's FINE.

tuck0411

QuoteBrlesq - 4/9/2020  8:48 AM

Received my AVO review cigar today along with a nice hitchhiker: A Matt Booth Micro Batch Privada Cigar Club Exclusive 2020.  Cigars arrived in a fancy foil zip-lock pouch along with a 69% Boveda.  Looking forward to trying both of these, but will give them a few days of rest from their journey first.

I took this chance to cruise around on https://privadacigarclub.com/, and Brian has some unique, eclectic and rare cigars for sale in addition to the monthly cigar club that you can join.  A true Geeks delight!

I should have mentioned earlier - there is a 20% discount code for the Privada store that is good through the 30th - weareprivada. I don't think it applies to the membership, just individual sticks.
Todd

Brlesq

Results are posted.  Thanks to all that participated!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

appollo

QuoteBrlesq - 5/1/2020  10:25 PM

Results are posted.  Thanks to all that participated!
If it is alright with everyone,as soon as I get mine I will smoke it and submit my review.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.