Letter to the Editor: Washington Redskins

Started by amigodecigars, 07/07/2020 09:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amigodecigars

Dear Mr. Page, Chicago Tribune:    I agree with our Native American population. I am
highly jilted by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins.
One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native Americans would exalt them as fine warriors, but nay, nay. We must be careful not to offend, and in the spirit of political correctness and courtesy, we must move forward.

Let's ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the
Cleveland Indians. If your shorts are in a wad because of the
reference the name Redskins makes to skin color, then we need to get rid of the Cleveland Browns. 
The Carolina Panthers obviously were named to keep the memory of
militant Blacks from the 60's alive. Gone. It's offensive to us white
folk. 
The New York Yankees offend the Southern population. Do you see a
team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any reference to that tragic war that cost this country so many young men's lives.

I am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion
among our sports team names. Totally inappropriate to have the New
Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Angels or the San Diego Padres. 
Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and
pillaged. We are talking about the horrible Oakland Raiders, the
Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Pittsburgh
Pirates! 
Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message to our children. The San Diego Chargers promote irresponsible fighting or even spending habits. Wrong message to our children. 

The New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants promote obesity, a growing childhood epidemic. Wrong message to our children.

The Cincinnati Reds promote downers/barbiturates. Wrong message to our children. 
The Milwaukee Brewers. Well that goes without saying. Wrong message to our children. 
So, there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out
to rectify this travesty, because the government will likely become
involved with this issue, as they should. Just the kind of thing the
do-nothing Congress loves. 
As a die-hard Oregon State fan, my wife and I, with all of this in
mind, suggest it might also make some sense to change the name of the Oregon State women's athletic teams to something other than "the Beavers (especially when they play Southern California. Do we really want the Trojans sticking it to the Beavers??? 

I always love your articles and I generally agree with them. As for
the Redskins name I would suggest they change the name to the
"Foreskins" to better represent their community, paying tribute to the
dick heads in Washington DC.

"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

BewareDaPenguin

Couldn't have said it better myself, the "Cancel Culture" is never satisfied :smoker:
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

nirab

attachment...always leads to suffering...
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

jagfandaddy

"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
 George Burns

klamm143

Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

Cigary

Awesomeness with a side of wonderfulness.

ntanner

I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

DogMan

Quotenirab - 7/7/2020  6:46 PM  attachment...always leads to suffering...

Ain't that the truth.....

Anyway, I get that PC and Cancel Culture can go too far. But a moment of introspection and empathy might give a different perspective on this. Maybe it was good name for the years it has served, but now it is no longer right the choice for a team to be named for a racial/ethnic skin color? Despite all jokes and silly "arguments" about other names, is "Redskins" really the thing you want to fight for?

thoughtful answers appreciated 

Loren B Davis

amigodecigars

Sometimes my greatest accomplishment is just....keeping my mouth shut.            Naw...I nominate 'Otter' to post a half dozen new names for the team that we can vote on!
"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

amigodecigars

The Washington NFL franchise is one step closer to forming a new identity after retiring its former name and logo earlier this month, announcing on Thursday that it will now go by the “Washington Football Team.”   The name will serve as a placeholder until the franchise can decide on an official team name but the classic gold and burgundy color scheme will remain the same, according to an ESPN report.   WFT = WTF ??

TheKraken

Haha too funny but it may come to this.  Everything is going to offend someone at some point
"When I walked in this morning and saw that the flag was half-mast, I thought 'All right, another bureaucrat ate it!'"
-Ron Swanson

"Limits, like fears, are often just an illusion"
-Michael Jordan

"What senses do we lack that we cannot see another world all around us"
-Frank Herbert

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.