Re-season old cigar boxes?

Started by Coach_G88, 07/07/2020 07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coach_G88

Okay, so I have finished the coolerdor and have put a few boxes in there with most of my cigars. I have gone by my 2 B&M shops for extra boxes to store the new additions but have some concerns on the boxes themselves.

One of my B&M puts their extra boxes on a shelf in the store but out of the actual humidified room and the other puts theirs on the rails outside of their store to be picked up by anyone for free at any point they want. My concern with both is losing the humidity they had built up in the humidor room of the stores. Do I need to take a Humi-care pack to reseason and wipe them down before putting them in the coolerdor to help get it back to the proper moisture or just stick them in as is?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

ninfiction

Personally I would season them just to be safe. They will suck up a lot of moisture if they have been sitting out and are really dry. I've seasoned boxes and cedar trays by putting them in tupperware with a little dish of distilled water. You can also spritz them lightly, not so much that they become wet but a tiny bit won't hurt....or wipe them down with a damp paper towel. Either way will speed it up a little.

You're best bet is to just buy a bunch of new boxes of cigars, that way you get even more cigars and the boxes are seasoned, win win  :biggrin:
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Cfickter

Brian is correct that the boxes should be re-seasoned.  But not all cigar boxes are perfect for using.  Not all cigar boxes are made of cedar or cedar lined.  Also boxes from companies like Roma Craft or DE Ligas can have rough finished exteriors that will also adsorb moisture.  one option would be using premade cedar trays.  A number of sites like Amazon, Walmart.  The trays are slotted and would allow for better air circulation.  Another option would be to use smaller food quality plastic containers (lid off).  I understand both are more expensive ways to go, but may offer more certainty
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.