Anyone interested in doing a Cigar Pass?

Started by rstrawsb, 07/08/2020 10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rstrawsb

I've been playing with the idea of moderating a cigar pass.  I have 20 cigars in a tuperdor with a boveda. Anyone want to join in?  If so please reply to this thread and let me know.

Thanks,

Ron

Ron Strawsburg

"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." Charles H. Spurgeon

bstessl

None going on right now, thats a good start.  20 might be a little steep to start with, maybe around 12 or so
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

Brlesq

Yeah, 20 is probably too many to seed it. Nobody wants to pay the postage as the box grows.  Also, you might want to give some thought to the theme of your pass, i.e. is it all high end cigars, all large ring, all maduros, all mild, whatever. That way folks can decide if its the right kind of pass for them or not to participate in. (Nothing worse than finding out that you're stuck in a pass with cigars you don't smoke!)

Since you are relatively new here, you might want to also read the CG article on Cigar Passes. We only run our passes here a certain way in accordance with these guidelines:   http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=16

Good luck on your pass!  :-)
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Cfickter

Before I join I would like to see what the seed cigars are and what the pass guidelines will be particular to this pass (Beyond those brlesg gave a link to).  
So I would suggest posting what is in your initial list.  
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

StogieDad

x2

I am always up for a good pass if it is in my wheelhouse.  Give us an idea what you are thinking with a seed list and some rules and we can probably round up a group.

QuoteCfickter - 7/9/2020  9:16 AM

Before I join I would like to see what the seed cigars are and what the pass guidelines will be particular to this pass (Beyond those brlesg gave a link to).  
So I would suggest posting what is in your initial list.  
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

gitfiddl

X3.  I might be interested.  It's been a while since I've played.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

nickthafish

I'm usually down for a good pass once the details are worked out.

rstrawsb

I'm still putting this together and doing the required reading. This will be my first pass so bear with my stupid questions and any delays getting it started. I like to do things right the first time.  The cigars I've picked out range from $7.50 to $30. I'm not sure if that is to wide a spread or not. As far as the theme is concerned I don't think there is one as there are no two of the same brand or vitola. I would like to start the following lineup: I have a few others that I may add to the list.

Alec Bradley Mundial PL #56 (6 1/4" x 56)
Diamond Crown Black Diamond Emerald (6" x 52)
Don Pepin Original Connecticut (6" x 52)
Fuente Fuente OpusX Destino al Siglo (5 1/2" x 52)
La Aroma de Cuba Noblesse Viceroy (5 3/4" x 54)
La Flor Dominicana Andalusian Bull (6 1/2" x 52/54)
Oliva Serie V Melanio Figurado (6 1/2" x 52)
Padrón Black No. 200 (5 1/2" x 56)
Rocky Patel 50th Anniversary Toro (6" x 52)
Tatuaje Fausto Limited SA (6" x 52)

still a work in progress,

Ron

Ron Strawsburg

"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." Charles H. Spurgeon

StogieDad

Looks like the CRA Sampler to me.... :biggrin:

I don't think a wide spread in price is a bad thing.  Allows more players that may be scared off if everything is over $15 or its a box of budget smokes.  

Just set clear expectations on turn time, and as you will see in your reading most people know but the common courtesy rules.  A $30 Gurkha is not a $30 Opus.  3 $5 sticks do not a $15 stick make.  Be clear on pricing guidelines, usually Famous, CI, Cigar.com box prices.  But most of us can self govern.

Also be sure to group people once you start lining up in geographical regions so you don't send the box to California, Atlanta, and then back to Arizona.  Try and keep sections close.

If we can get a good group, I would be a player with the seed list.  Some nice variety and nice smokes in there.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

StogieDad

If you have any questions or need help I'd be glad to help, just reach out.  But I am sure you have it under control.
-- Winston Churchill

-- Abraham Lincoln

-- Ron Swanson

Brlesq

Quoterstrawsb - 7/10/2020  1:06 AM
 I would like to start the following lineup: I have a few others that I may add to the list.

Alec Bradley Mundial PL #56 (6 1/4" x 56)
Diamond Crown Black Diamond Emerald (6" x 52)
Don Pepin Original Connecticut (6" x 52)
Fuente Fuente OpusX Destino al Siglo (5 1/2" x 52)
La Aroma de Cuba Noblesse Viceroy (5 3/4" x 54)
La Flor Dominicana Andalusian Bull (6 1/2" x 52/54)
Oliva Serie V Melanio Figurado (6 1/2" x 52)
Padrón Black No. 200 (5 1/2" x 56)
Rocky Patel 50th Anniversary Toro (6" x 52)
Tatuaje Fausto Limited SA (6" x 52)

still a work in progress,

Ron

Bro, you've been holding out on us!  You posted that you wanted to do trades last week, but not one of the cigars above are listed in the 466 cigars you have cataloged in your virtual humidor.  

So what do you really have? :?:  :biggrin:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 

rstrawsb

Yes I'm starting with the sampler. Pretty nice selection.
Ron Strawsburg

DonM

If it were me?.....go with a mixed list intended of the sampler...  Haven't had a pass in awhile, I would play

I see a separate Curmudgeon Pass in the future?

"The Curmudgeon"

rstrawsb

The cigars I have listed in my humidor are what I had purchased to resell years ago from my online store. Many were purchased wholesale and what the wholesaler thought had good margins for profit. My initial purchase was something like $500 and subsequent sales were encouraged so I bought a stock to season and ship as needed. So the 400+ cigars in my humidor are what remain, but not necessarily my favorites as I tend to smoke those first. I don't consider all of them poor cigars but at that price point they tend to be inconsistent in quality. Some folks like a cheap smoke and I thought I would offer them up for the taking and the offer still stands. If anyone want some let me know either PM or post on the forum. I'm going to work on getting the other cigars listed in a virtual humidor soon, I've just been focused on clearing these out first because I don't want anyone to get disappointed when they can't have my premium cigars for the cost of shipping. 

Best Regards,

Ron

Ron Strawsburg

cmbrose

I haven't done a pass in a while, but I sure would like to do another one.

Brlesq

Quoterstrawsb - 7/10/2020  10:45 PM

The cigars I have listed in my humidor are what I had purchased to resell years ago from my online store. Many were purchased wholesale and what the wholesaler thought had good margins for profit. My initial purchase was something like $500 and subsequent sales were encouraged so I bought a stock to season and ship as needed. So the 400+ cigars in my humidor are what remain, but not necessarily my favorites as I tend to smoke those first. I don't consider all of them poor cigars but at that price point they tend to be inconsistent in quality. Some folks like a cheap smoke and I thought I would offer them up for the taking and the offer still stands. If anyone want some let me know either PM or post on the forum. I'm going to work on getting the other cigars listed in a virtual humidor soon, I've just been focused on clearing these out first because I don't want anyone to get disappointed when they can't have my premium cigars for the cost of shipping. 

Best Regards,

Ron

:thumbsup: That's very generous of you, Ron. The background story sure helps clear up the confusion and hesitation that some members were having.  Good luck with your pass!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

gitfiddl

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

rstrawsb

Invite sent, glad to have you in our pass!
Ron Strawsburg

lubrix

Who and the hell invited me to this pass?.....I'm in the middle of an exorcism!.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

Brlesq

Uh-oh.  New guy woke up Paul!!

Bruce
Chief Enabler 

rstrawsb

Ron Strawsburg

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.