Great news for premium cigar manufacturers!!

Started by amigodecigars, 08/19/2020 04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amigodecigars

The FDA’s ability to require premium cigar companies to seek product approval for its cigars has been delayed indefinitely by a federal court.

Judge Amit P. Mehta of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia has ruled in the cigar industry’s favor in an ongoing lawsuit against the U.S. Food & Drug Administration. He has granted the cigar industry’s request for relief and delayed FDA’s ability to enforce its premarket approval process for premium cigars until after the agency completes a thorough review and considers a “streamlined” process specifically for premium cigars.

As such, premium cigar companies will not have to file for product approval on the Sept. 9, 2020 deadline.

The ruling will apply to almost all cigars found in humidors across the country with the notable exception of flavored and infused cigars, which are not considered premium by FDA.

Companies will also not need to file paperwork with the agency to prove that their products are premium, rather, any company selling a cigar that does not meet the definition of “premium cigar” will be subject to the Sept. 9 premarket approval deadline and will need to file for substantial equivalence or another approval pathway.

Mehta’s ruling does not require FDA to enact a “streamlined substantial equivalence” process for premium cigars, only that the agency must study the issue and cannot require premium cigars to go through substantial equivalence or another process until after that study is complete. Given the nature of FDA, it is likely—though not guaranteed—that this process will take multiple years.

"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

ntanner

I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

BewareDaPenguin

"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

Beegerply

Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

TheKraken

"When I walked in this morning and saw that the flag was half-mast, I thought 'All right, another bureaucrat ate it!'"
-Ron Swanson

"Limits, like fears, are often just an illusion"
-Michael Jordan

"What senses do we lack that we cannot see another world all around us"
-Frank Herbert

amigodecigars

THANK YOU JUDGE MEHTA.                                                                                                                                                                                                            
"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

Otter

R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

klamm143

"bout time we got some good news"...............!!!
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.