Getting started with a pipe

Started by james0x2a, 09/07/2020 12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

james0x2a

I've dabbled in cigars since undergrad (*cough*and a little before*cough*), but I'm interested in branching out. I tried to get into pipe smoking a few years ago (in the vain hope that if I found pipe tobacco that smelled good enough, my wife might let me smoke in the house). It didn't really stick, mostly I think because I didn't know what I was doing and it wasn't much fun fumbling around trying to relight my pipe every time I took a drag.

I still have some hardware. What, other than pipe tobacco, do I need to get started? I've attached a photo of my kit. The only marking on the pipe is "Albania". Also, I'm not sure if I've somehow ruined the pipe by not cleaning it after the 2 times or so I tried to use it. It still has a faint smell of tobacco in it.

What resources are out there for getting this whole thing figured out? I tried YouTube back in the day, and not being able to ask questions or have somebody point out what I'm doing wrong makes it a lot harder. I'm in central Maryland, and of course all social interactions these days are online anyway.

james0x2a

Hot Stuff x

Well, you found the Pipe Geeks section of the site, so that's a start.  If you're not proficient at packing your pipe, I'd start there.  There are some good videos on youtube.  I recommend searching Youtube for "the frank method".   It helped me a lot when I was starting out.
LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.