New to This Site

Started by alamartina, 01/08/2021 07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alamartina

Hello to everyone. Limited social life this past 10 months has given me ample time to experiment with TECs, Woodworking (including Building humidors) and finding a solution that I imagine many face when using a Wineador. 

Using a wine cooler for cigar storage works well with some limitations. The biggest I think is temperature control. Wine coolers generally will only control temp up to 66 degrees or below. So the question is how to control temps above 66. And, if the temp gets below your set point, say 68, how does one heat back to 68? Also, as most know, temp control in a wine cooler is TEC solid state control And they are inefficient at that.  If the ambient temperature gets too high, the controlled temp can only cool within a range of ambient. 

Since I prefer my sticks at 68 degrees and 68  - 70 percent RH, I needed the ability to cool and heat my wineador. I accomplished this by building a temperature controller that I can set to any temperature desired.

I used an off the shelf controller with 2 embedded relays, 2 miniature power supply’s, switches, power lamps, fuses and line cord.   The wineador actually plugs into the back of my controller and is controlled by the ‘cool’ relay. There is a 12v circuit using the other relay, 12v power supply 2 and a small lamp for the heat circuit. The lamp is connected via a small ribbon cable and sits on the bottom of the wineador. The off the shelf controller thermistor resides within the wineador as well.   Main power, power supply 1 and power supply 2 all have an associated switch, fuse and power lamp. 

The main internal controller has a cool and heat indicator that illuminates when heat or cooling are called for. This controller also has a digital readout in centigrade to display the current temperature. Another nice feature of this controller is you can set the cool/ heat temperature offset so the wineador isn’t constantly cycling between heating and cooling.   The humidity seems to stay at a relatively stable 70%, but I keep a Cigar Oasis inside set to 68%. 

All in all, took a while to work out the schematic, acquire the parts and assemble the unit. But it works great and my sticks are safe and aging beautifully.   Now to see if I can figure out how to post pics with this thread! ??    

arrow34

welcome!  But the pics didnt work

alamartina

When I paste the 3 pics, they appear very large. I can’t make them smaller. When I submit post, it only shows three little blank boxes. Any ideas?

arrow34

try using imgbb, use html medium link

Otter

Welcome to the group!
R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

bstessl

Welcome from Northwest Indiana!

That's quite the intro post, I'm just wondering if you're fishing for a market to sell this temp control of yours though... Lol
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

headfirst

I use the windows snipping tool to snapshot a reduced image size.  You have to get each pic under 100 KB in order for them to post in the thread.  And welcome!
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Brlesq

Welcome to CG.  Let's see some pics!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

alamartina

alamartina

Not really, just experimenting and developing for my own use.

benchjockey

You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

mr_flounder

Welcome to the club, from South Fla.

Mautrak

Welcome to the site.

Beegerply

Wow, welcome to the site from Moline IL. enjoy the site.  :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

StogieDad

Pretty cool, welcome to the site!
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

ntanner

I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Adwinistrator

Welcome to CG!  I like the engineering approach to you humidor, very nice setup, and clean solution!

Cfickter

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Vroomp

:welcome:  to the site~!

Where did you get your flux capacitor?

Asking for a friend...........  :biggrin:

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.