Interesting Humidor —. Can its features be explained?

Started by MacMac, 01/23/2021 07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacMac

Hi Fellow Geeks,
I need help understanding at humidor.  I've attached several photos of the humidor for your review. One of the pictures shows the humidor that was given to a Mr. Nute in 1954 from the "Cuban Lions." The photos indicate the humidor is Cuban made—see the inprint on the bottom of the humidor. The humidor has some interesting features that I do not understand. I'm hoping some of our Geeks can explain.  
The humidor features (see photos):
1.  The Humidor has a box within it—made to fit.
2.  The box sits on small pegs that are in each corner of the humidor.
3.  The pegs create a space between the floor of the humidor and the box.
4.  The humidor floor has stains—origin unknown.
The questions: Why does the humidor have a secondary box within it and what is the purpose of the box sitting on pegs creating space between the floor of the humidor and the box?  Are the stains in the bottom of the humidor related to they way it was used?  What other facts are known about such a humidor?

I'm looking forward to learning about this unique humidor.

Thanks Joe (aka — MacMac)
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

Brlesq

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Vroomp

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

headfirst

No idea, but thanks for sharing the photos, very cool piece!
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

ntanner

I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Caveman Steve

Really cool humidor.
Only an educated guess but I'm thinking the area under the inner box is for one of two possibilities.

1}  Humidification.  There does not appear to be sufficient space on the lid for humidification like most of todays desktop humidors.   Seems too shallow to be used for additional cigars.  It could explain the stain marks but I don't know why they're so dark.  

2)  A simple storage area for cutters. matches. lighters etc

Enjoy it.  Love those old antique items!
"yesterday I did nothing, and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday"

MacMac

Hi Bruce, my son-in-law owns it.
He picked it up at an antique shop somewhere.
Joe

MacMac

I'm not trying to sell it. Just trying to learn something about it. I've never seen one like it.

MacMac

Caveman, I think you are right about the space. Even the inserted box is only big enough for Robustos in "the short" direction.  If you put longer cigar in sideways, there is not much room left for anything on the end. Joe

Brlesq

That's an interesting piece. I can't tell you much about the humidor, but I can tell you about the man that owned it.

Monroe L. Nute was the President of the International Lions Club in 1954-55. https://www.lionsclubs.org/es/discover-our-clubs/our-leaders/past-international-presidents

Prior to that, when he was elected Second Vice President of the International Lions, I found this about him:

Monroe L. Nute, Kennett Square, Pennsylvania, was elected Second Vice President at the International Convention in June, 1952, having served the previous year as Third Vice President. He served as International Director from 1947to 1949 and prior to that was Deputy District Governor and District Governor of District 14-D. He is a Master Key member and past president of the Kennett Square Lions club and has served in practically every other office in that club. Born in York, Pennsylvania, Lion Nute is a graduate of Williamson Trade School and attended Pennsylvania State College. He is an automobile dealer, farmer, and breeder of Aberdeen Angus cattle. He is a Mason, Presbyterian, a member of the school board, and past president of the Chamber of Commerce. Lion Nute is married and has two sons and one daughter.

Mr. Nute's grandson was given this humidor, and when he passed away in 2016, your humidor was listed as part of his estate sale: https://www.estatesales.net/VA/Roanoke/24012/1381419

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

MacMac

Wow Bruce.  That's so interesting. Thank you for the research!! I'll pass it on to my son-in-law!
Joe

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.