CigarGeeks Fantasy Baseball 2021 - 8th Annual

Started by StogieDad, 03/09/2021 08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StogieDad

Well it looks like baseball season is going to be a bit more normal this year, so who is a go for a little Fantasy Baseball???

Kent (05Venturer) was the League Champ last year, so the target is on his back!  Everyone last year is welcome back as everyone paid up!

Back to 2019 rules with a full season...you send 11 sticks, 10 for the overall winner and 1 Super Premium that the leader at the All-Star Game gets.  I usually split the final sticks roughly 70-30 to the winner and second place.

Previous League Champs:

LEAGUE CHAMP HISTORY

2020 - 05Venturer
2019 - Kman
2018 - StogieDad
2017 - ninfiction
2016 - Caveman Steve
2015 - Caveman Steve
2014 - nkowal

Here are the 10 players from last year.  Please confirm in the thread that you want to participate this year.

johncw - IN
ninfiction - IN
cfickter - IN
05venturer - IN
deener27 - IN
kman - IN
Kid Montana - IN
Caveman Steve - IN
nirab -  IN
StogieDad - IN

I will consider adding players if somebody drops out or if there are pairs so we can keep an even number and not have bye weeks.  There will have to be some feedback or referrals to join as we have had non-payers before.

Looking forward to this return to normalcy.  Who is in!!!???
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

05Venturer

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Cfickter

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Kman

I'm in as well.

A side note, are you considering any extra DL spots to deal with Covid roster issues this year?
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

Kid Montana

I'd rather have a cigar...

Kid Montana

QuoteStogieDad - 3/9/2021  6:47 AM

I will consider adding players if somebody drops out or if there are pairs so we can keep an even number and not have bye weeks.  There will have to be some feedback or referrals to join as we have had non-payers before.

Just as bad as non-payers is folks who give up on the league and don't participate after a while.  I would consider abandoning your team to be a reason to never be allowed in the league again, if not a justification for negative feedback.

I'd rather have a cigar...

Cfickter

QuoteKid Montana - 3/9/2021  11:38 AM  
QuoteStogieDad - 3/9/2021  6:47 AM  I will consider adding players if somebody drops out or if there are pairs so we can keep an even number and not have bye weeks.  There will have to be some feedback or referrals to join as we have had non-payers before.  
Just as bad as non-payers is folks who give up on the league and don't participate after a while.  I would consider abandoning your team to be a reason to never be allowed in the league again, if not a justification for negative feedback.

I think people leave for different reasons. If ur frustrated because ur team isn't winning well maybe the problem is you!  But since we are not a legacy league and auto draft you get a fresh start each year. 

For me it’s like you said, People who just quit mid season

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

nirab

The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Deener27

I'm in.  Thanks for getting this rolling again.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

Kman

QuoteKid Montana - 3/9/2021  2:38 PM  
QuoteStogieDad - 3/9/2021  6:47 AM  I will consider adding players if somebody drops out or if there are pairs so we can keep an even number and not have bye weeks.  There will have to be some feedback or referrals to join as we have had non-payers before.  

Sometimes things happen in life and this becomes less important. If it were someone who had 1 bad season due to personal issues, that could be forgiven. But you're right that habitual loser's lurgy makes a frustrating season for others. 

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

Cfickter

Considering the continued influence of COVID I feel we should expand the IL to account for a few more slots where COVID is the reason vs an actual injury   Just a few

Kman

QuoteCfickter - 3/9/2021  5:29 PM  Considering the continued influence of COVID I feel we should expand the IL to account for a few more slots where COVID is the reason vs an actual injury   Just a few

While I agree that adding a couple spots for COVID is a good idea, I don't think trying to enforce a COVID designation works well in practice. I doubt that the site is going to be able to differentiate IL's by type, so it would be up to the Commissioner, Michael, to enforce those. After helping to run my FFL league last year with the same concept, I can tell you that it was a nightmare to try and keep up with who was on IL and for what reason and that was for only 17 NFL games. 

If we go with the extra spots, I think we have to limit it to a reasonable number, maybe 5 in total, and just accept that those spots can be used for anyone with an IL designation. 

ninfiction

This is not the admin you're looking for...

Cfickter

QuoteKman - 3/9/2021  2:40 PM  

QuoteCfickter - 3/9/2021  5:29 PM  Considering the continued influence of COVID I feel we should expand the IL to account for a few more slots where COVID is the reason vs an actual injury   Just a few

While I agree that adding a couple spots for COVID is a good idea, I don't think trying to enforce a COVID designation works well in practice. I doubt that the site is going to be able to differentiate IL's by type, so it would be up to the Commissioner, Michael, to enforce those. After helping to run my FFL league last year with the same concept, I can tell you that it was a nightmare to try and keep up with who was on IL and for what reason and that was for only 17 NFL games. 

If we go with the extra spots, I think we have to limit it to a reasonable number, maybe 5 in total, and just accept that those spots can be used for anyone with an IL designation. 

In reading the site rules Kerry is correct they upped the min IL positions from 1 to 3 for COVID 

So jumping to 4 or 5 would be good by me 

Caveman Steve

"yesterday I did nothing, and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday"

Murphy223

Interested if there's a spot available

johncw

I'm in again.

Also if we add teams I would like to see it in pairs so there are no bye weeks. That just messes with the flow of everything.

StogieDad

So everyone from last year is in.  Murphy, we will see if there is any interest from another team so we can stay in even numbers.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

StogieDad

I have scheduled an auto pick draft for Sunday the 28th.  That gives everyone a chance to get orders if they want set and close enough to the season to accommodate any injuries or major roster changes.  I am working on adding the slots for extra DL slots, can't do it through the app so I will let you guys know.  If there are any issues with this draft time or anything else let me know ASAP.
-- Winston Churchill

-- Abraham Lincoln

-- Ron Swanson

Murphy223

No worries. Probably don’t have the time right now.  Have fun

Cfickter

Thanks Michael
I was able to logon
What about renaming the divisions? East and West seem so boring. What about
Madero and Habano?
Robusto and Toro?

Ok, maybe retiring has left too much time on my hands

05Venturer

Good Luck Fellas
Play Ball
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

StogieDad

I could not get any answers on adding IL spots but we do have 3 and 4 bench spots so hopefully that should keep us moving along.

Enjoy boys, play ball!
-- Winston Churchill

-- Abraham Lincoln

-- Ron Swanson

StogieDad

I'm willing to offer up Soto and/or Tre Turner for some pitching.  Unless Acuna wants to come over to me for Soto straight up.......
-- Winston Churchill

-- Abraham Lincoln

-- Ron Swanson

Caveman Steve

Week one and already in an epic battle with Chuck.  
Thought I might start pulling away.......Uh  No
Good luck bro!  Great match up!

:biggrin:
"yesterday I did nothing, and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday"

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.