Cigar burn question

Started by MurphMan7700, 04/15/2021 12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MurphMan7700

Hello everyone. Once in a while I have a cigar that the cherry turns to an almost charcoal condition. I have two tupperdores and a 400 count temp controlled humidor. 65 RH Boveda packs for humidity. It is not with one particular brand or blend. Is this an issue of smoking to fast, improper lighting, ??. Any input would help, thank you.

gitfiddl

I've had that happen several times over the years, once in the last week or so.  I've never put much thought into it.  I'm no scientist, but I think it might have as much to do with the smoking environment as it does the storage condition.  I've always just knocked the ash off and continued smoking, relighting if necessary.

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

MurphMan7700

That is what I have done Aldo. Sometimes having to cut off the end and relight also.

ninfiction

It could be due to a plug (tobacco is rolled too tight), does the draw seem to be tight before you get to that point?

Similar to David I just knock it off and carry on. Being handmade there are times where you'll find inconsistent construction, unless I smoke multiple of the same cigar and always encounter issues I don't worry too much about it.

If I feel a cigar is plugged I use a Perfect Draw tool to open it up.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

gitfiddl

I don't recall any real problems until the ash sort of "crystalized"
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

MrMoke

I am with @gitfiddl in that it could be environment related.  Have you considered it may be a result of high relative humidity?
"The older I get the more I realize I cannot please everyone.  However, pissing everyone off is a breeze."

Adwinistrator

I have run into this exact same issue, and it seemed to resolve itself over time, but I had a string of these for a few months.  My best guess is that there was a situation that caused the cigars to dry out slightly (not to the point of damage), and then they are getting rehumidified from the outside in.  This allows the inside of the cigar to burn faster than the outside, where the ember can enter into the cigar beyond the burn-line, and create a hot and hard charcoal-ish spot.

MurphMan7700

That could be it, best explanation I have gotten. Thanks for the thoughts.

MurphMan7700

I thought so at first but I changed out the batteries for my hygrometers, 7 of them, one for each shelf. Still read the correct temp at 65 and RH 65 plus or minutes 1. I have Boveda and Heartfelt beads for 65 RH.

gitfiddl

As an aside. it's that firm "charcoal-ness" of cigar ash that makes it so effective in "mudding" the bottoms of pipes to prevent burn-out, be the pipes cobs or otherwise.

Adwinistrator

QuoteMurphMan7700 - 4/29/2021  6:02 PM

I thought so at first but I changed out the batteries for my hygrometers, 7 of them, one for each shelf. Still read the correct temp at 65 and RH 65 plus or minutes 1. I have Boveda and Heartfelt beads for 65 RH.

Just to add more context...

RH does not equal "moistness of cigar"

Relative humidity = moisture relative to temperature.

Temperature determines the maximum capacity for moisture in air.

65% RH @ 75 F is more moist than 65% RH @ 65 F.

This situation for, me and you, could have been caused by temperature swings.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.