How many is too many?

Started by blondie, 06/14/2021 05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blondie

So like most things (AR style rifles, cigars, trains, watches, vintage safety and straight razors) I tend to go overboard.  Specifically to cigars though, how many is too many?  I thought I had the inventory under control, but after my son got to like 2 years old, I stopped smoking as much.  No more hangouts with guys from here, but I didn't stop taking advantage of the deals I came across.  I only get to smoke about once or twice a week now, and my Humidor count is just under 1000, about 850?  How will I ever smoke them all?  How will I not buy cigars when I come across them.  You know how when you first start out, you buy a little of everything, now I have my tried and true, and alot of stuff that I am not attached to, but are still good.  It's almost mind boggling to choose anymore.  First world problems I guess...

gitfiddl

I'd guess I've got about 1600 cigars.  My online humidor has the total at 1422, but I know that is off.  I'd he two cigars I've smoked tonight, a Joya de Nicaragua Antano Dark Corojo El Martillo and a Bobalu Orange Label Super Fuerte Toro, in my humidors for over five years and had never smoked one of either before tonight.  

I'd say you are good shape.  The majority of my stash have been purchased in five-packs or samplers, and most are probably between 5 and 10 years old.  My tastes have varied over the years, and it's nice to go back and revisit old favorites and fads alike.  And I know more than once I've been surprised by how much (or how little) certain cigars changed since I first smoked them.

My advice is not to worry, just sit back and enjoy your cigar journey.  It's almost as much fun as being a dad!
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

junglepete

Not to worry. While I carry a current stash of about 500-700 sticks, there was a time I was in the over 5000 club but it just became a big space issue at the time an so I scaled down quite a bit.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Brlesq

One day in the not-so-distant future, when the sin taxes become 200-300%, or when some of those Central American governments become dictatorships and get put on the "no-trade" list, or cigar sales are finally outlawed, those with a large stashes will be happy that they stocked up!   :smoker:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

tuck0411

QuoteBrlesq - 6/14/2021  4:54 PM

One day in the not-so-distant future, when the sin taxes become 200-300%, or when some of those Central American governments become dictatorships and get put on the "no-trade" list, or cigar sales are finally outlawed, those with a large stashes will be happy that they stocked up!   :smoker:

Yep, that's how I see it.  I know I've probably got way more than I'll smoke up in this lifetime, especially seeing as how more keep arriving in the mail on a regular basis, but I tend to subscribe to the philosophies of "more is better than less", "running out sucks", and "better to have too many than not enough", so the only stress involved is finding whatever sticks are next up for smoking/reviewing in my various disorganized tupperdors, cooler-dors, and acrylic jar-adors.  As of late, I do tend to buy fewer five packs and more singles (mostly via samplers and a couple of COTM clubs) as I need to reduce my overstock of multiples of the same stick and I'm not going to be commuting forever (hopefully!).   :smoker2:
Todd

"Those sticks won't smoke themselves..." -- OZZ

blondie

So, like my Italian grandmother always said, "better to have and not need than to need and not have"?

headfirst

I'm running about the same collection size and smoke frequency as you blondie, I'm around 820 I think and I'll smoke once a week.  I got as high as 1,100 or so when I was hooked on the devil site and still very young in the journey and aggressively exploring the world of budget sticks.  What my MO is these days is to try one of everything I've bought (or been given) and if I don't REALLY like it I set aside the rest of those I bought to sell or give to someone that would enjoy them and then there's room (and justifiable funds when I sell) to buy something new.  Yes it's more than I'll probably smoke but at the same time there are different seasons of life, maybe I'll smoke more when I have more time on my hands when the kids have flown, who knows?  But I'm having fun perfecting the collection to what I know I really enjoy and trying new things too.  And if any of my kids eventually take up the hobby there's heirloom potential too.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

shakinghorizons

I have over 5k and only smoke once a month or so - hell I haven't had a cigar since April! Like you, the packages continue to arrive and I am actually looking for larger storage area as I am once again out of room. Do I have more than I will consume in my entire lifetime? Probably. With the current market continuing to only increase pricing I will eventually not be a buyer due to price alone, but will have amassed enough inventory to not care.

StogieDad

I probably have over 2000, really don't keep a good record.  More than I could smoke anytime soon at all.  I found myself in the same situation, couldn't pass up the deals and certain releases.  And once we had my daughter, my smoking definitely decreased as I didn't want her to deal with the smell on me as a baby and just time later on.  But it does get better.  As she got older and I had more pockets of time, I get to enjoy more.  Now she is almost 11 now and I pretty much smoke when I want.  While she is out on the trampoline, at practice, I can find plenty of situations usually.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

appollo

I usually have around 800-950 and this includes my ISOM.I find I now buy only what I feel is in my wheelhouse and I don't' experiment  maybe as much as I should .I know what I like and that is what I buy.As the saying goes life is to short to smoke bad cigars.Like Gary if I do get sticks I feel I won't smoke I sell and buy ones I know I will.I know it is now a collection and its nice to have it full of cigars you truly enjoy. :-)

nirab

I have 2000+ and sometimes wonder the same thing. My wife says I have too many cigars. I agree with her, and that makes her feel good, which scores me points in the hubby dept. I keep buying more, which in turn, keeps her happy, in a roundabout way... :biggrin:  :angel:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Beegerply

I'm on the oppisate end of the spectrum, I'm lucky if I have 30 cigars in waiting. Years ago I just said I'm done having to deal with space, time to take care of them etc.etc. I don't have any special occasion cigars as every day is special to me because I made it out of bed, LOL.  Last year I started working at a cigar shop and I get a good discount.  :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

MrMoke

I little over eighteen months ago, I had 1200 plus.  Most I had acquired 8 or more years ago and had taken a hiatus due mostly to work schedule and commute, I just didn't have time to enjoy a cigar, plus as I don't smoke inside the house, the humid climate in southeast TX is unbearably humid, not to mention the mosquitoes and other flying critters, so for several months of the year cigar smoking was out when I got home at night.  After involuntarily curtailing smoking it wasn't long before I had to stop buying since I had completely ran out of space.

Then I moved to central Alabama for 4 years, which has a more moderate climate and allowed me to enjoy a cigar every now and then but I still had several hours of commuting eating into my day along with my work schedule.  Then along came 'The Rona'  I started working from home, so could sit on the deck with my computer working, on wi-fi and smoke a cigar.  Then the job tanked so I moved back to TX, still working from home I have the outside humidity issue to deal with but typically get to enjoy a cigar everyday, if not two.

I am buying again but trying to run down my 'old' inventory, most of which taste awesome btw, due to their age and currently have 833 in inventory, 416 of those are 'old', purchased 2012 or before, the other 417 were acquired since 2017.  My plan is to continue smoking the 'old' inventory while aging the new and replacing them as well, currently at the rate of 2:1, so my inventory will diminish over time, I should be below 600 in a year.  I'm not too worried about cigars being outlawed, I have to stop smoking cigars sometime, we all will when we reach room temperature and assume a horizontal posture, life's a bitch of a situation, nobody escapes it alive!

So, as for answering the question, YES, absolutely, I had too many (my wife agreed with this), but now I have a legit reason to buy more, so I don't run out!  :biggrin:
"The older I get the more I realize I cannot please everyone.  However, pissing everyone off is a breeze."

appollo

Quotenirab - 6/15/2021  6:04 PM

I have 2000+ and sometimes wonder the same thing. My wife says I have too many cigars. I agree with her, and that makes her feel good, which scores me points in the hubby dept. I keep buying more, which in turn, keeps her happy, in a roundabout way... :biggrin:  :angel:
I like the way you think Brian.LOL  :thumbsup:

BewareDaPenguin

I'm usually around 400-500 at any given time in the humidor. I used to be an occasional smoker with a dome humi around 100 or so, then in 2014 I got signed up here and that quickly ballooned to a table top humidor, and I've kept it daily stuffed ever since, thanks geeks!! :biggrin: I definitely don't think that's to many, I like my cigars to settle for at least a year or 2 before I really get into the box, so I've been on the rotation system the past few years now, bury the new n face up the old to the top. I'm comfortable around 500, my wife thinks to many, but there's a different cigar for different moods, and different experiences, so I have to explain to her that each cigar is a work of art and an experience, she laughs but let's me get away with it :smoker:
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

nickthafish

I'm at over 1300 now and TRY to only buy stuff I really want, usually LE or ISOM stuff but a killer deal on some good sticks will occasionally get me. I don't buy "budget" sticks, which does not mean sticks found for a good deal (Mil Diaz for $3.75). I doubt I'll be able to smoke em all especially buying more and with a substantial stash of pipe tobacco I need to start getting into again! I expect to have a good while still to smoke em and with taxes and regulations I don't feel like I have too much.

BewareDaPenguin

You know after reading these I don't think anybody really has "too many" cigars, I'd agree the war on tobacco has reached new heights, and they have been coming after premium hand rolls for years, so I'd hafta agree if there's sticks you like and you are comfortable with the price, these prices won't come down I'm afraid, so I echo my fellow brothers n sisters in the view that "stocking up" isn't necessarily a "bad" thing honestly
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

rstrawsb

For me too many is when I find I can't care for them. I had a big cooler full once and made the mistake of over humidifing. I neglected my maintenance for some time and found some mold on a few wrappers and that set me into a tailspin. It's no fun throwing out cigars. But I have somewhere near 1000 and more on the way.
Ron Strawsburg

"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." Charles H. Spurgeon

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.