Whynter CHC-251S Troubles

Started by blondie, 08/30/2021 01:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blondie

Anyone else have problems with the Whynter CHC-251S?  I think I am on my fourth now, maybe third, they all do the same thing after a couple of years, cooling gets all wacky, and humidity drops low, due to the cooling unit never shutting off.  Whynter is recommending I replace the heat sink and the board, to rectify the problem.  I can't make heads or tails of what they sent me, as the new heat sink has a single cooling fan, and the new one only has one.  Anyone ever replace the electronics in one of these?  I was trying to find local service, but that's impossible.  I believe this model is discontinued, and it appears the age of the inexpensive wineador are over, as I can't find a unit under $1000 anymore, and even then, very little is in stock.  Don't really see why no one can make one of these that lasts...Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

blondie

So nobodies chiming in.  Do these things suck or what?

BewareDaPenguin

I built a wine-a-dot about 5-6 years ago n I had nothing but problems with it, so I ended up buying another humidor. I know a few geeks like theirs and didn't have the issues I did, but I'll never get another one. I've never owned that specific model either so I can't really speak on it, I'm guessing most people who've read your thread probably don't either, but again I had nothing but grief with mine before I decide to lay it to rest...good luck
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

shakinghorizons

I don't have this model, but I cut the cooling wires as I only wanted the fan to operate.

wescat

Quoteblondie - 8/30/2021  5:46 PM

So nobodies chiming in.  Do these things suck or what?
Thermoelectric cooling definitely sucks, IMO. It is inefficient and unreliable.
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

Brlesq

Quoteblondie - 8/30/2021  2:52 PM

Anyone else have problems with the Whynter CHC-251S?  I think I am on my fourth now, maybe third, they all do the same thing after a couple of years, cooling gets all wacky, and humidity drops low, due to the cooling unit never shutting off.  

Sounds like you should have switched to something else after your second one died . . .  :confused:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

c9belayer

Great! I've got one that's 6 years old and is still holding steady. I can't imagine trying to re-wire and replace the motherboard and all that crap. I did replace all the guts in mine, but didn't touch the electronics. Sorry I can't help, but I must thank you for letting me know what I'm in for when it starts to go!
-- c9belayer

blondie

Quick update.  I went ahead and ordered the parts from the Ambience online store, had them do soldering, and hooked everything back up on Sunday.  Seems to be working as before, and my babies are happy again.  Fairly simple plug and play if you buy both the board and the heat sink and pay the 15 bucks for soldering service.

BewareDaPenguin

Congrats, glad it's working out...again I've had nothing but trouble with wine-a-dors so it's good to hear :smoker:
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.