Dunkin Donuts

Started by vw77guy, 09/07/2010 06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vw77guy

I grew up on Dunkin and now I've moved to an area where there are no Dunkin Donuts within 100 miles at least.  Thank God you can buy the grounds at the local grocery store these days, but it still isn't the same.  

Any other Dunkin Fans out there?

Brlesq

Nope.  I prefer Starbucks bold blends.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

nwb

Actually, I prefer Dunkin over Starbucks.  However, since I get free Starbucks at work, I just drink that. :shades:

Every fall, they have a Pumpkin Spice Latte that my wife loves - it is really good for a "flavored" coffee.
Chief of Shaft

Voexum

Yeah I'm a Dunkin Donuts fan, probably because we have soo damn many near the house. But we buy the grinds to make at home too.
Christopher "Voexum"
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Voexum

"A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points but it is by no means the most interesting." - The Doctor

Samhain2000

See, you are actually talking coffee here. There was a DD near my house in Oklahoma City, and I bought their donuts by the dozen. Mmmmmm. No DD near us in Melissa, Tx.
A cigar is like a gun, you never know when you'll need one.

bklein128

Not a big coffee fan but the donuts are fantastic

mountedshriner

I was a Starbucks's fan until I tasted "Peet's Coffee." They really do a superb job on  a cup of Joe. Give em' a try.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

nwb

Quotemountedshriner - 9/7/2010  9:33 AM

I was a Starbucks's fan until I tasted "Peet's Coffee." They really do a superb job on  a cup of Joe. Give em' a try.

:word:
Chief of Shaft

PA.pierced2010

Missed DD's donuts when I moved to CA.  For the most part I brew my own coffee.
"The difference between a man and his valet: they both smoke the same cigars, but only one pays for them"
Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Ken Kelley

The best cup of coffee I think I have ever had was in an Italian Army field hospital out in the wilds of Western Thrace during the Display Determination 92 NATO exercise.  In my capacity as the NATO Medical Advisor to the Turkish Armed Forces I toured the field medical facilities of all the NATO nations participating in the exercise.  The Italian hospital was set up in the middle of a harvested sunflower field miles from nowhere.  The hospital commander invited me to the field mess for coffee and a chat.  We walked in and I immediately found that the US military has it all wrong where chow is concerned.  The tables had red and white checkered table cloths, there were fresh flower centerpieces on each table.  There was a wheeled wine cart of all things.  These guys knew how to put on a meal! And the coffee was superb!  It came in a small white china cup and was thick and strong.  Had enough sugar in it to kill a horse but it was GOOD.

My second favorite coffee was the brew in the little stand up coffee shops all over Germany.

Dunkin Donuts isn't bad, Krispy Kreme coffee either.  I have never had an opportunity to try Starbucks.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

NES Tek

Whenever I'm on the east coast to visit my wife's family I'm always sure to get my fill on DD coffee (and donuts).
"A good cigar is like tasting a good wine: you smell it, you taste it, you look at it, you feel it - you can even hear it. It satisfies all the senses." - Anonymous

"You play five years in a Jimmy Buffett cover band and see what your freakin' wardrobe looks like, butthole!" - gitfiddl

consti

I've never really had one close to me at any point so I've never really had that much DD. I just usually get my coffee from this place across the street where I work. Pretty good so far.
-Justin

JKG

Not a starbucks fan, it's too bitter for me.  DD is better.  Since you mentioned coffee and donuts....  Quick Trip has great coffee and there's not much better than their maple iced long johns...... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :biggrin:  More than once I've caught my 10-year-old grandson with his head in the donut case sniffin the maple LJ's.

akira

Quotemountedshriner - 9/7/2010  6:33 AM

Ditto
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed - Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.'" -Jack Handy

NES Tek

Quoteakira - 9/7/2010  7:51 AM

Quotemountedshriner - 9/7/2010  6:33 AM

Ditto

Yes. Very true!
"A good cigar is like tasting a good wine: you smell it, you taste it, you look at it, you feel it - you can even hear it. It satisfies all the senses." - Anonymous

"You play five years in a Jimmy Buffett cover band and see what your freakin' wardrobe looks like, butthole!" - gitfiddl

ROTHNH

"Ein kanchen kaffe, bitte!"

Order the above in Germany and you get a little pot containing two cups of coffee, a cruet of cream and a small ramkin of sugar cubes.  Great stuff.

Good times :)

Now I drink one of the darker French Roast blends from the local coffee roaster, buying the beans and grinding my own.

vw77guy

We're in the same boat.  I drink a bunch of Starbucks these days because, A - free, B - it's the only option in this small town.

I also agree that I would prefer Dunkin and I LOVE pumpkin spice Latte

vw77guy

Can I get that at the store or is that a chain I have to go to?

vw77guy

I've been to Italy as well and I completely agree.  The closest I've had in the states is at Olive Garden.  I remember having a cup around the corner from the Eifel Tower.  It was delicious.
  There's a krispy kreme by my place and I do enjoy the coffee there.  It's not DD, but it's drinkable.  The donuts are the same, not as good, but will do.  I just can't stand the price.  I was getting donuts for about .60 at DD and they're a buck a peice at Krispy Kreme.  
  If you get the chance, try a Starbucks.  I prefer Starbucks over Krispy Kreme.

vw77guy

I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone on this one!  Thanks for the input gents. :thanx:

nwb

Quotevw77guy - 9/8/2010  6:55 AM

Can I get that at the store or is that a chain I have to go to?

If you are talking about Pete's, I believe they have coffee shops out on the West Coast.  Here in GA, you can pick up whole beans at certain grocery stores like Whole Foods.
Chief of Shaft

elmokfo

I miss DD, the coffee I can get in the store and I have a Starbuck's but I really could go for a good donut.  WY answer?  Daylight Donuts which is basically a poor mans Krispy Kreme which I've never really been a fan of either.

lowpro75

I can't take a piss without hitting a DD.  I'm drinking it now, it's pretty good.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

ljlemer

Here's my gripe with DD: they brew it too dilute. I prefer to take a bag home, grind what I need and drink a more concentrated cup. That way I can have a stronger coffee that tastes good. My gripe with Starbucks is that I've never tasted a blend of theirs that didn't taste like sewage, even if diluted. My second gripe is my wife loves Starbucks. She drinks sewage and loves it! I guess that explains her attraction to me.

I lived in Colombia 3 years and always loved their coffee. I lived in Israel 11 years and lived on imported, powdered Nescafe, which I still like for instant. The national coffee, 'Turkish', is called mud by its fans and the name is right on the mark. As they gentrified, they imported European coffee, which tasted like, guess what- starbuckian sewage! Mud, sewage or instant. Those were the choices. Let me stress, I'm not referring to their own domestic instant which tastes like chalk. Or did. I left 14 years ago. Times change occasionally.

Coffee Geek

As for the donuts, they are only as good as they are fresh and at most places they aren't very fresh. Krispy Kremes, on the other hand....
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

Ken Kelley

Quoteljlemer - 9/8/2010  3:36 PM

Here's my gripe with DD: they brew it too dilute. .

That's my main gripe with American restaurant/coffee shop/donut haven coffee across the board.  It's just brewed too dang weak!  I want coffee, not brown hot water!  :mad:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.