Home roasting coffee

Started by emind56, 03/02/2008 11:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emind56

Any other home roasters here?  if so I'd love to get a dialouge or even a forum going where we could compare notes and so forth.....I've been hooked by it almost as bad as my hobby (read: obsesion) with cigars

ljlemer

You buy green beans and roast them at home? Interesting. That must really add a dimension of freshness to every cup. I've never seen green beans offered for sale.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

emind56

I do in fact buy green beans and roast them at home.  Beware once you start roasting you'll never go back.  I started on an airpopper like you would use for popcorn, thing cost me like 3 bucks on ebay.  There are many places to get green beans.  check out www.sweetmarias.com they have an extensive list of green coffee as well as a very complete "how-to" section on roasting.  coffee bean coral is another great source of beans.

mhuss

This sounds like a really awesome idea!  Thanks for the link, I'm gonna go check this out.

emind56

Let me know if I can be of any assistance.  I've been roasting for about 5 years now,  and have made many many mistakes which maybe I could help others avoid

SenorPablo

While i'm a big coffee fan and seem to able to tell good coffee from bad, i've never got too serious about getting to know various styles, blends, brands etc...  This could turn into a new hobby maybe (like I need another one  ;-) ).  

If we get enough interest on the site, I would definitely create a new forum for the topic.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

NewGuy

QuoteSenorPablo - 3/2/2008  2:43 PM

While i'm a big coffee fan and seem to able to tell good coffee from bad, i've never got too serious about getting to know various styles, blends, brands etc...  This could turn into a new hobby maybe (like I need another one  ;-) ).  

If we get enough interest on the site, I would definitely create a new forum for the topic.

-Paul

Paul

Seems like a natural fit for a pairings forum. I would be interested. My order from Baby's in Key West just arrived. The Land of a Thousand Hills coffee is also superb. Company in GA specializes in Rowandian beans.

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

Duker511

I have never tried roasting my own beans, but there is a coffee shop near me that custom roasts for his customers. You tell him what you want, and he does it. If you dont know what you like, he works with you untill you find it. He has several kinds of beans from all over the world that he roasts in different ways, with different techniques. He does this by the pound, not by the cup. I personally like his house roast that is by the cup or the pound.
Tim

SenorPablo

QuoteNewGuy - 3/3/2008  6:35 PM

Paul

Seems like a natural fit for a pairings forum. I would be interested. My order from Baby's in Key West just arrived. The Land of a Thousand Hills coffee is also superb. Company in GA specializes in Rowandian beans.

Rack

I'm not opposed to the idea of a coffee forum.  Think we have enough interest?

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

emind56

For those of you who like coffee but aren't sure about roasting check out this guy.
www.killerbeans.com

Very good coffee and a great guy!  I've known Jerry for a long time, though I haven't spoken to him in a long while.
Last I checked He was a brother of the leaf as well..

I'd love to see a coffee/roasting forum as well

ljlemer

QuoteSenorPablo - 3/3/2008  9:40 PM

I'm not opposed to the idea of a coffee forum.  Think we have enough interest?

-Paul

CoffeeGeeks? Sure! Better than the alcoholic pairings for me as at least I do drink coffee. This is great! A new, expensive hobby!
I'll never be able to drink Dunkin Donuts coffee again! Thanks to you guys I can't smoke El Cheapo Doggie Biscuits anymore!  
    :cry:  :lmao:
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

kgoings

Great thats all I need is another hobby...my wife is gonna kill me....well at least she likes coffee so if she gets some bennifit from it she may not mind....  :-(

mhuss

Quotekgoings - 3/4/2008  7:17 AM

Great thats all I need is another hobby...my wife is gonna kill me....well at least she likes coffee so if she gets some bennifit from it she may not mind....  :-(

There ya go, incorporate her into your new hobby.  If you want to get really slick about it, don't even tell her it's apart of the site.  Just act as is a new hobby or interest is starting to flourish.

SenorPablo

Ok Folks.  You asked for it.  You got it.  There is now a new coffee forum.
Barrowing from Larry's post, it is called coffee geeks.

-Paul

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.