blind review trade...

Started by emind56, 03/06/2008 06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emind56

I was thinking it would be cool to do some blind review trades.  The idea is to get 5 or so members together.  Each week one of the members would send out 4 smokes to the other 4 members in the group.  The smokes would be unbanded so no one would know what they were getting.  Each would then smoke the cigar and write a review of what they thought of the cigar.  Would could have a special thread for the reviews.  After all had reviewed that weeks cigar the member who sent them out would reveal what they had been.  Then the next week the next member in line could do the same.  I think it would be be cool to see what we would think of different cigars if we ad no idea who made them or where they were from.

So whatcha think, anyone have any interest in doing something like this

NewGuy

emind

Sounds like a really fun adventure. If the smokes were the same our database of reviews would really benefit from multiple reviews of the same stick.

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

emind56

Thats the idea to send out the same smokes to all participants.  The db will benefit, and also it is cool to see what people think when all marketing and predjudice is removed.  In the past when I've done similar ones I was always amazed by what I really enjoyed, and how I tasted old favorites like they were brand new.

So that makes two of us in who else?

NewGuy

I saw an article in Aficionado with wild results when the same thing was done. This really could be fun.

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

Bob Cordell

"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

kgoings

Sounds fun! I could come up with four new smokes a month.

So do you get a group, set a price range for each smoke. And the each month randomly select partners.

A big group, never know who your gonna exchange with, and always get some interesting cigars.

emind56

I'm open to any ideas on how to admisnistrate such a thing.  I thought a group of four or five, just to keep it magageable in terms of cost for shipping and cigars.   But no reason their couldn't be 3 or 4 groups.

emind56

Is that four participants now?
1. newguy
2. Bob Cordell
3. kgoings
4. Me

Who else is interested?

Bob Cordell

How do we keep up with which reviews went with which cigars? Maybe instead of a band we could put a number with each cigar. Lets say I review smoke number one, the sender would know that it was a El Ray del Mundo or a Partagas or whatever.

Would that work?
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

kgoings

QuoteBob Cordell - 3/7/2008  8:26 AM

How do we keep up with which reviews went with which cigars? Maybe instead of a band we could put a number with each cigar. Lets say I review smoke number one, the sender would know that it was a El Ray del Mundo or a Partagas or whatever.

Would that work?
So, it would be a weekly review. And the Review Organizer would be responsible for the organization.

Here is what I suggest.

We get a forum for blind Reviews. And you can have groups of people who do it for a month and then switch up to different groups if there are more people who are interested in doing it. We could do the first one as an example, and I could write a "Process Outline"

First - The Organizer starts a thread initiating the Blind Review.
- The organizer would be responsible for tracking which cigar got sent to which recipient.

Second - The participants would smoke their cigars
- Light, smoke, enjoy.

Third - The blind review.
- The participants would then, in the thread about that weeks review. Write up a review based on their experience.

Fourth - The revelation
- After all of the participants had posted their blind review, the organizer would reveal in the thread what they had smoked.

Fifth - The DB update
- The PARTCIPANTS would update the Cigar DB with their review; maybe we could modify the Cigar DB somehow to indicate that the review was part of a Blind Review.

Sixth ON TO THE NEXT BLIND REVIEW!!!

NewGuy

Sounds good! Since some band width on the site is to be used let's get Pauls nod before we begin.

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

kgoings

SenorPablo

QuoteNewGuy - 3/7/2008  3:38 PM

Sounds good! Since some band width on the site is to be used let's get Pauls nod before we begin.

Rack

Like you guys need my permission!  Go for it!  Sounds like a great time.  If I had a little more time and a little less travel I might have joined.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

emind56

QuoteBob Cordell - 3/7/2008  7:26 AM

Would that work?

Each participant sends 4 of the same cigar, one each to the other 4 guys.  Then the next week the next guy sends 4 of the same cigar one each to the other 4 guys, etc...

NewGuy

Sounds like fivers at CI BId are going to be topping some shopping lists!

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

emind56

Do we have 5 participants yet?  Are we going to do it on a new threaad or a new forum?  So many questions.......

kgoings

I would say start a thread for it, use cigar bomb addresses for it so we do not have to post them in the public. And if it catches on a new forum can be created. In the future maybe we can modify the cigar pass system to track it and get addresses.

kgoings

Oh and it looks like we only have 4

emind56

Should we wait for one more, or go ahead with 4?

kgoings

You could post a thread with the 4 that are currently in and say you need one more? Or could invite someone?

kgoings

Anyone else wanna join we need a fifth for our blind review/trade.

kgoings

ljlemer

Quotekgoings - 3/8/2008  1:23 AM

ljlemer???

Sure! But we need to somehow label them so they don't get mixed up, unless they are all different sizes and colors.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

kgoings

emind was your idea to send out 16 smokes? 4 to each member of the review? Or send out 1 smoke to 4 different members?

kgoings

Quoteemind56 - 3/6/2008  6:10 PM

I was thinking it would be cool to do some blind review trades.  The idea is to get 5 or so members together.  Each week one of the members would send out 4 smokes to the other 4 members in the group.  The smokes would be unbanded so no one would know what they were getting. Each would then smoke the cigar and write a review of what they thought of the cigar.  

It looks like he was talking about sending out 4 cigars, 1 to each participant. That would be easy to track. I.e. I sent member 1 the cohiba, member 2 to partagas, member 3 the Rocky, and member 4 the Gurkha.

And for those of us who dont smoke a ton of cigars a week, we wouldnt have to smoke 4 cigars.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.