Pipe Newbie

Started by Ken Kelley, 01/05/2011 08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Kelley

OK, Pipe Guys, I want to take the plunge so I need some advice.  I understand a corn cob pipe is a cheap way to start.  Any hints on a good one to buy?

Here's what I would like in a tobacco...something that tastes like a good maduro cigar.  I want depth, body, and a dark, sweet taste as close to a Nicaraguan maduro as I can get.

Now, given those parameters, what do you suggest?
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

Brlesq

Careful that you don't get TOO in this new pipe fad of yours, or we'll be making fun of your new smoking jacket. :biggrin:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Bob Cordell

Why not just smoke a maduro cigar then?
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

wlfwalleye

As far as a corncob pipe Missouri Meerschaum is proubably the best.
http://store.pipesandcigars.com/micocobme.html

IMO cigar tobacco and pipe tobacco are extremely different in character.
However G.L. Pease has a blend that has some maduro cigar leaf in it that really tastes great.

G.L. Pease Robusto
http://store.pipesandcigars.com/glpease.html

It's hard to determin what to reccomend beyond that because I find that my cigar tastes differ from
what I like in a pipe.

I don't smoke very many aromatic (infused) tobaccos because IMO eventhough they smell great they don't have
much taste.

Once you start buying pipe tobacco it gets almost as bad as buying cigars. There is always something new
to try and different versions of blends to experiance. :shamebag:

Hot Stuff x

As far as pipes, I recommned the American Patriot,  Country Gentleman, or Great Dane.   Never tried the MM hardwood pipes, so don't know about them, but I don't like the cheap(er) Legend or Pony series as they are of a lesser quality and require a break in.   For just a buck or two more you get a much better pipe in the first three lines I mentioned.

There are a few Maduro blends out there.   These two are recommended:

Altadis Aged Maduro Cavendish
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=A&TID=3321

McClelland Dominican Glory Maduro
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=D&TID=767

Also, take a look at this site for reviews and info on various pipe tobaccos-- a great resource:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/index.cfm

LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

87North

I won't pretend to know very much about pipes and pipe tobacco as I only indulge very very infrequently.  I will however say that pipesandcigars.com is a great company to deal with and the 3 or 4 times I've ordered things from them they've been spot on.  Their website is a little clunky but it's worth it to deal with them in my opinion.  I've got a couple Missouri Meerchaums that I let rattle around in the glove box of old red (my truck) and they do quite well.  One of 'em I've had since I was a young warthog of 17 or 18.   :confused:
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

Ken Kelley

QuoteBob Cordell - 1/5/2011  9:24 AM

Why not just smoke a maduro cigar then?

Well, I hate to fire up a cigar when I'm wandering around the settlement taking care of bidness because I have to put it down while I do so and it goes out.  Then when I light it up again it gets that nasty taste, even when you cut off the burnt end and purge it, not to mention the waste of the tobacco you cut off.  The pipe bubbas tell me you can relight a pipe and it doesn't get funky.  Maybe I'm wrong.  That's why I asked for the advice.  I do that once in awhile.  Don't let my wife find out though.

metalhead y cigarguy

I've always wanted to smoke a pipe since I was young boy. I remember going into the tobacco/gift/knife shop in the mall when I was younger and just loved the smell of the tobacco. That sweet tobacco smell was such a pleasing aroma that every time we went to the mall I would go into the shop and look around at the non-tobacco products of course. One of these days I'll buy a pipe and learn to smoke it.
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

lowpro75

We hate newbies around these parts.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

ROTHNH

Ken, Les and Kyle provide some great advice here.  I'd suggest that if you have a good tobacconist nearby, you might pay them a visit.  A good shop offers a variety of bulk mixtures that you can purchase in small quantities and often can recommend "samples" for you to try.  Also, if you're serious about giving pipe smoking a shot, you might want to consider buying two pipes as I think it helps to rest each as you swap off.

Ken Kelley

QuoteROTHNH - 1/5/2011  7:36 PM

Ken, Les and Kyle provide some great advice here.  I'd suggest that if you have a good tobacconist nearby, you might pay them a visit.  A good shop offers a variety of bulk mixtures that you can purchase in small quantities and often can recommend "samples" for you to try.  Also, if you're serious about giving pipe smoking a shot, you might want to consider buying two pipes as I think it helps to rest each as you swap off.

Yeah, I appreciate the feedback and thanks to everybody...except lowpro75.  He's an a-hole.  Well, I guess I could thank him for being an a-hole...because he's really good at it!  So...thanks for being a good a-hole, Rich!  :biggrin:

nwb

I know that the pipe smokers might disagree, but in my limited experience, you have to have a lot of patience for a pipe.  Honestly, I think that good pipe tobacco tastes better than cigars, but I got aggravated at constantly lighting, tampering, etc.  Just my .02.
Chief of Shaft

Hot Stuff x

Quotenwb - 1/6/2011  11:33 AM

I know that the pipe smokers might disagree, but in my limited experience, you have to have a lot of patience for a pipe.  Honestly, I think that good pipe tobacco tastes better than cigars, but I got aggravated at constantly lighting, tampering, etc.  Just my .02.

I can't disagree with the patience thing.   Pipes must be "sipped" to avoid tongue burn.   Don't expect a ton of smoke with every puff.   And yes, it does take some tending.

For me I enjoy having a cigar with friends, but the pipe is nice when smoking alone as I can give it my full attention.  

One other thing Ken... a roll of electrical tape makes a good pipe rest if you need to set your pipe down.
The flat bottom cobs will sit pretty well on their own, but sometimes the bit will rest on your workbench, which I try to avoid (especially if you have a lot of sawdust or other debris on your work surface).
LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

Ken Kelley

QuoteHot Stuff x - 1/5/2011  11:50 PM

One other thing Ken... a roll of electrical tape makes a good pipe rest if you need to set your pipe down.
The flat bottom cobs will sit pretty well on their own, but sometimes the bit will rest on your workbench, which I try to avoid (especially if you have a lot of sawdust or other debris on your work surface).

Good tip!  I've accidentally knocked more than one cigar off the bench and have had some roll away on their own.  That's one reason I'm partial to box pressed stogies for shop use.  A pipe might be better for the shop anyway for this and several other reasons.  :biggrin:

lowpro75

QuoteAlphairon - 1/5/2011  8:04 PM

Yeah, I appreciate the feedback and thanks to everybody...except lowpro75.  He's an a-hole.  Well, I guess I could thank him for being an a-hole...because he's really good at it!  So...thanks for being a good a-hole, Rich!  :biggrin:

You're too kind.  Would I be the Tiger Woods of A-holes or more like the Phil Mickelson?  Because being the #1 A-hole in the world would be pretty special.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Ken Kelley

Quotelowpro75 - 1/6/2011  8:54 AM

QuoteAlphairon - 1/5/2011  8:04 PM

You're too kind.  Would I be the Tiger Woods of A-holes or more like the Phil Mickelson?  Because being the #1 A-hole in the world would be pretty special.

I was thinking along more classical lines. I'm thinking more of an enduring quality of a**holeishness in the spirit of Michelangelo or Leonardo de Vinci.  Sports figures and politicians have a certain cheap sensationalistic quality but it's short lived.  The classics inspire awe for much longer.  Their names are familiar to most everybody.  I want to be able to just say the name "Rich" and have people's eyes light up while they say, "Yeah!  Rich!  What an a**hole!  But he's a GOOD a**hole!"    :biggrin:

nwb

QuoteAlphairon - 1/6/2011  9:20 AM
I was thinking along more classical lines. I'm thinking more of an enduring quality of a**holeishness in the spirit of Michelangelo or Leonardo de Vinci.  Sports figures and politicians have a certain cheap sensationalistic quality but it's short lived.  The classics inspire awe for much longer.  Their names are familiar to most everybody.  I want to be able to just say the name "Rich" and have people's eyes light up while they say, "Yeah!  Rich!  What an a**hole!  But he's a GOOD a**hole!"    :biggrin:

:lmao:
Chief of Shaft

Brlesq

Quotenwb - 1/6/2011  9:31 AM

QuoteAlphairon - 1/6/2011  9:20 AM

:lmao:

:lmao:  :lmao:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

wlfwalleye

I can now recomend Cornell & Diehl's "Billy Budd".

I smoked through 5 bowls of this stuff and I am impressed.

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/codibubibu.html

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.