dedicated roaster, or popcorn popper?

Started by zonie, 03/17/2008 05:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zonie

Hey kids,

I did the roasting thing for a couple years, bought me one of them there special coffee bean machines, even got a variable voltage controller for it (expensive bad idea) but had problems  getting the right roast.
Since I'm considering roasting again, I was wondering how well does the popcorn popper work for those of you that use that method?

Thanks,
Kevin

When pigs fly out my butt....

Duker511

I have beans on order and am just waiting for the mailperson. I have a popper that Im going to use for my first try at roasting. I will be posting how things turn out.
Tim

emind56

I love the popcorn roaster method..The only complaint I have with it is the batches aren't very big.  Check out the popcorn pumper II...they can be had on ebay for around 15 I think.

Duker511

I have been roasting for a week or so now, I use a Popaire 2 that works good but only roasts a small amount. Ive got the hang of it pretty good, I have a Kenyan bean that Ive been roasting to a full body, and a Columbian bean that Ive been roasting lighter for other people. I can go from green beans to hot coffee in about ten minutes. :biggrin: But it tastes much better if you let it sit overnight.
Tim

Wapster

You just run it through as if it was popcorn?
Kill 'em all! Let God sort 'em out!

emind56

Wapster thats more or less the way to do it...check out www.sweetmarias.com you ought to be able to answer any questions you could have on roasting there.

Duker511

QuoteWapster - 4/2/2008  11:44 PM

You just run it through as if it was popcorn?

Yeah, drop the same amount as you would popcorn, and in 4-7 minutes, presto, roasted coffee.
Tim

ajmtg

calvarez

I've been using an iRoast 2 for a couple years and highly recommend it.  I get very consistent results and only have to change my program for winter/summer.  I now have the two seasons stored in there.  Fine adjustments can be made by simply adding/removing a little time right at the start of the roast, or you can store up to 10 custom profiles for instant recall.
Carlos Alvarez, Peoria, AZ

"I've learned that the taboo subjects -- religion, politics,
philosophy -- can be safely discussed in polite company
when you're holding a fine cigar and a scotch."
  -- Me

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.