C.I.'s "MAKE ME AN OFFER"-JOKE or LEGIT?

Started by rah0785, 01/26/2011 02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rah0785

:confused:     I have been placing bid after bid on the sticks they post by the hundreds since yesterday only to have every single bid denied.  I even bid up the the C.I. price per stick for that particular cigar and still got rejected.  

Has ANYONE ever gotten a cigar bid approved by with set up, and if so, HOW???  So far it seems like a major waste of time having taken hours looking through hundreds of, what C.I. says, are over stocks, old inventory, or whatever.  What pisses me off even more is they say place "realistic" bids so they won't be rejected right out the gate.

I sent them a few VERY STRONG:mad: notes asking why post all these cigars with no intention of selling them off at a discount price below C.I.'s daily price.  I also asked why they believe anyone would actually pay MORE, PLUS $5 for S&H, then the C.I. daily price as apposed to simply placing a 60 second direct order?  It seems to me their pitch or hope is set up for that very reason.  To finally get you to want a stick so bad you just buy it from C.I. after having 3 bids rejected.  I said when C.I. has a sale it is ALWAYS 40 to 70% off the regular price.  So far MMAO has not given me any discount below C.I. price that would even cover shipping.  Any details about experiences with them would be appreciated.  :thanx:

Thanks,  Rich H.

Brlesq

Never found anything at a good price on CI's MMAO and have quit even looking there.  However, I have scored a few good deals on Famous's MMAO.

I've also always found that you can get a better deal on either of their respective auction sites if you have patience.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

nwb

Haven't had any luck with CI MMAO, either. :confused:
Chief of Shaft

Cigary

The whole idea is to make you think you are getting a deal..like Priceline or Orbitz.  I consistently beat both of these places when I look for travel deals.  I know too many sources that beat the MMAO deals anyway.

junglepete

QuoteCigary - 1/26/2011  3:56 PM

The whole idea is to make you think you are getting a deal..like Priceline or Orbitz.  I consistently beat both of these places when I look for travel deals.  I know too many sources that beat the MMAO deals anyway.

DITTO...waste of time in my opinion...glad to hear a letter was sent!
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

ROTHNH

Quoterah0785 - 1/26/2011  3:38 PM

:confused:     I have been placing bid after bid on the sticks they post by the hundreds since yesterday only to have every single bid denied.  I even bid up the the C.I. price per stick for that particular cigar and still got rejected.  

Has ANYONE ever gotten a cigar bid approved by with set up, and if so, HOW???  So far it seems like a major waste of time having taken hours looking through hundreds of, what C.I. says, are over stocks, old inventory, or whatever.  What pisses me off even more is they say place "realistic" bids so they won't be rejected right out the gate.

I sent them a few VERY STRONG:mad: notes asking why post all these cigars with no intention of selling them off at a discount price below C.I.'s daily price.  I also asked why they believe anyone would actually pay MORE, PLUS $5 for S&H, then the C.I. daily price as apposed to simply placing a 60 second direct order?  It seems to me their pitch or hope is set up for that very reason.  To finally get you to want a stick so bad you just buy it from C.I. after having 3 bids rejected.  I said when C.I. has a sale it is ALWAYS 40 to 70% off the regular price.  So far MMAO has not given me any discount below C.I. price that would even cover shipping.  Any details about experiences with them would be appreciated.  :thanx:

Thanks,  Rich H.

Rich H.,

You can try checking this thread out and search the forums for the others:

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=5847.0

Basically, I think most of us found that CI's "Make Me An Offer," until you have little to do and enjoy the time and effort it takes, is just flat ass not worth it.

NES Tek

I got a few things there, but this was a few years ago. I got decent prices. Probably not the best, but it was purchasable at that moment instead of waiting for a deal. Haven't used it since though.
"A good cigar is like tasting a good wine: you smell it, you taste it, you look at it, you feel it - you can even hear it. It satisfies all the senses." - Anonymous

"You play five years in a Jimmy Buffett cover band and see what your freakin' wardrobe looks like, butthole!" - gitfiddl

Dave S.

Over the last couple of years, I've made the following buys from CI's MMAO:

October 14, 2010; 10 cigars; 601 Serie Blue Box-Press Maduro Robusto; $40.00.
April 19, 2010; Box of 20; Alec Bradley Tempus Quadrum; $100.00.
December 23, 2008; Box of 50; Rocky Patel Olde World Reserve Corojo Robusto; $225.00

I could have gotten better deals elsewhere, so I don't use MMAO anymore.
"There are not enough Indians in the world to defeat the Seventh Cavalry."

George Armstrong Custer

lowpro75

There are some cigars that never go on sale, like Perdomo Edition de Silva's, that you can get a better price on.  

But I'm going to say its a joke, because I like the idea that there are a couple guys at the computer laughing at you as they are rejecting every offer you make. :biggrin:
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

cmmayo

I bought the CI Legends Ashtray on there for around $12-15 instead of $25. It's HUGE, by the way.
--Corey

I'M BACK, MF-ers!!!

zac

I bought a 10 pack of JdN Antano Cosul from CI MMAO.  I got it for $31.75 + $5 shipping.  $36.75 total.  I didn't think it was a terrible deal.

Herfin' Chef

I bid on a AB Select Cabinet reserve sampler almost 24 hours ago and it reads, "offer is still pending". My bid is $10.00 less then what they're selling it for. So at the end of the day, after shipping and sales tax, if my offer is ever accepted, I'll be saving around $2.00.

As for convenience, I don't see it here. I'm waiting around for a day now to see if I could save 2 bucks.

:confused:  :confused:  :confused:
-w-  
(unofficial Man of War)

Stimulating the American economy...One cigar at a time

MT21

Really?  Would you buy anything from someone who the first thing you see is some guy taking a dump on the toilet?

:confused:

Then you get "Welcome to my house of pain SUCKER!"

:-0

They just told you what they think of you.

:sad:

Stay away.  There are better deals elsewhere.
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

Gurkha free zone.

zac

QuoteHerb - 1/26/2011  4:35 PM

Really?  Would you buy anything from someone who the first thing you see is some guy taking a dump on the toilet?

:lmao:   I never really thought of it that way, but I like it.

nwb

Quotecmmayo - 1/26/2011  4:39 PM

I bought the CI Legends Ashtray on there for around $12-15 instead of $25. It's HUGE, by the way.

Back when the Legends ashtrays first went on sale, I won one on Cigarbid for $3.  Like an idiot, I broke it about a week ago.... :mad:

Oh well, it was a good deal and I got my money's worth.  And it is huge!
Chief of Shaft

87North

Quotecmmayo - 1/26/2011  3:39 PM

I suppose thats for when you have a Sonny Liston style cigar... :confused:
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

87North

I haven't bought anything from MMAO in a very long time.  It just never seems worthwhile the couple times I've looked through there.   :rolleyes:
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

kozilla6

I only ever use this site when they have a free shipping deal. Then I offer a few bucks less than what they offer on the JAM and I usually get what I want for what I offered. This only happens a few times yearly. Otherwise I find it a waste of time.

cmmayo

It's basically a last resort before buying something you can't find on sale on CI. Of course, almost everything on CI eventually goes on sale, hits Joe Cigar, or is put on Cigar Bid...

--Corey

I'M BACK, MF-ers!!!

rah0785

WELL IT MUST BE AH MIRACLE OR SOMETHIN' as Pastor Arnold Murray says.  After my request for input on C.I.'s MMAO 100% bid rejection policy I had 6, SIX, EL JOY EL SIXO get approved.  One was for LA PERLA HABANA COBRE BELICOSO, which was COLD at $25, but HOT enough to accept at $25.01! :dancing: HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Maybe the ICE is broken due to some unwanted attention as I sent them an email detailing the fact that 99% of my fellow cigar smoker that have tried MMAO got surprisingly rejected.  Maybe this is the time for EVERYONE to head their and place some reasonable bids.  I will list what I had approved this morning and you all can take it from their.   Thank you all for the input.

Here is the C.I. daily price followed by my APPROVED bid
 LA PERLA HAB COBRE-10 BEL.  $35,accepted $25.01(AFTER $25 WAS TO COLD!)  
 MARK TWAIN-20                             $60, accepted $40
 CI LEGENDS (GRAYCLIFF)-10          $50, accepted $32
 PUROS INDIOS SPEC AGED-6         $20, accepted $15
 MILD & MELLOW SAMP. #2            $40, accepted $30
 REPOSADO  '96-10(7.1X58)           $30, accepted $20
 GRAYCLIFF MINI HUMI                    $30, accepted $15

I just can't stop thinking about what to say about that $25.01 approved bid after $25 was to COLD.   Like to see if they warmed up to anyone else. :lmao:

metalhead y cigarguy

I've never ordered anything either CI's or Famous MMAO site.  Like others I thought it was a waste of time also.
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

rah0785

QuoteHerb - 1/26/2011  4:35 PM

I like your first line the best.  It is perfect.  Never thought much about the ad pic.  I think everyone can understand why.  But, now, after more detailed thought you are right to a degree.  After I informed them of the NEGATIVE response I lucked out, and all of a sudden had 6 bids approved.  What makes the whole situation a continuing joke is the $25 bid I placed on 10 LA PERLA HABANA BELICOSO COBRE"S, an excellent cigar.  They are priced at 20 for $70.  As I was pissed off at the time, I simply sent in another bid at $25.01 in a silly attempt to waste some of their time.  That PENNY made all the difference in the world as my bid was approved the following day.

:bow:Did they give in to the PRESSURE of the forum posts I made?  Only time will tell if they have mended their ways and are willing to try to live up to the boasts they make on MMAO.  I saved, after tax & S/H over $50, not bad.   Anyone else now bidding on MMAO please slap a quick post here with updates, as I will next month when I bid again.  We will see if they stay on the straight and legit path.  I used Cigarbid.com last night and won a LA PERLA 5 pack.  The site seems to be a SUB-SITE of C.I. as the search lay out and product lines are a lot alike.   I am also going to try Cigarsatyourprice.com as some of you suggested.  Makes purchasing cigars for people like myself with to much time on their hands a bit less boring then my old one day, one order per month routine.  The following weeks I would visit C.I. and see all these great smokes on sale for a day or week but I was all bought up for the month.  Silly but true.

nwb

CBid is a sister site of Cigars International.  I'm really not trying to burst your bubble about the deals you got, but you might try using Cbid for future purchases.  Many of the cigars you bought off MMAO regularly sell for much less on what we refer to as "The Devil Site".
Chief of Shaft

Ken Kelley

MMAO is a whack.  The only time I seriously tried it was for a tenner of DPG Serie JJ selectos.  I bid up to and a little past what they went for on the Jam and they still turned me down.  Pissed me off so I told them to eat me!  :mad:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

gitfiddl

QuoteAlphairon - 1/27/2011  1:50 PM

MMAO is a whack.  The only time I seriously tried it was for a tenner of DPG Serie JJ selectos.  I bid up to and a little past what they went for on the Jam and they still turned me down.  Pissed me off so I told them to eat me!  :mad:

Did they get splinters?
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.