where are the pipe smokers?

Started by sam a, 08/10/2011 05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sam a

so i noticed there really isn't alot of activity here in the pipe fourm. perhaps we can remedy that. assuming that there are indeed pipers still in the crowd. what say ye?
Any cigars portrayed in this post that appear to be Cuban in origin are completely fictional in nature. Any resemblance between these cigars and actual Cuban cigars is unintended and purely coincidental.

hardeveningsuburb

I smoke a pipe, just not this time of year.  I really only get out my pipes in the fall and winter months.  I've talked to a lot of people who do the same, so maybe that could be a reason that there isn't much activity on the pipe forum right now.   :confused:
"After people get to know me, they all say I drink a lot of beer. I don't deny it either. Why should I? I'm not ashamed of beer." - Richard Brautigan

ntanner

i havn't smoked any of my pipes in a long time. gonna have to break them out, clean em up and put them back in use.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

wlfwalleye

Bicho

I have a Pipe collection that's been in my family for about 30 years!!!
I have wanted to try it out, Pipe smoking but have no idea where to start.
OKAY yes buy some pipe tobacco and then what??? I'm down, I just need some newb pipe tips...

Regards Harold
Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.

Mark Twain

Shukpaw

My cigar smoking has really slowed down my pipe smoking.
I'm right 98% of the time.  Who cares about the other 3%?

sam a

kyle... those are some nice looking pipes. here are a few pics of my most recent pick up, a radice lovat:

Any cigars portrayed in this post that appear to be Cuban in origin are completely fictional in nature. Any resemblance between these cigars and actual Cuban cigars is unintended and purely coincidental.

wlfwalleye

Sweet pipe! I really like the 2 tone finish.

Ken Kelley

I got a tin of the free tobacco we all ordered months ago and keep meaning to get a corn cob pipe but haven't got around to it yet. I wonder if that tobacco stuffed in a box of Kristoff cigars would be worth smoking? I kept it in a plastic bag with a humi pack so it's in good shape. Anybody ever try something like that?
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

metalhead y cigarguy

I smoke my pipe about 2-3 times a month. I'm still new at it, so I tend to smoke cigars more frequently.
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

wlfwalleye

I just added this to my (cellar) today.

Ken Kelley

So, Kyle, what kind of pipe tobacco should a full-bodied maduro fan get for a pipe...if he had a pipe?
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

sam a

QuoteAlphairon - 8/11/2011  11:34 AM

I got a tin of the free tobacco we all ordered months ago and keep meaning to get a corn cob pipe but haven't got around to it yet. I wonder if that tobacco stuffed in a box of Kristoff cigars would be worth smoking? I kept it in a plastic bag with a humi pack so it's in good shape. Anybody ever try something like that?

i've experimented with blending cigar tobacco with different pipe baccys. sometimes i have had great results others... well lets just not talk about those. i'm acually currently tweaking a balkan/cuban cigar blend, we will see how it ends up. give it  shot, its great fun.

sam a

Quotewlfwalleye - 8/11/2011  11:39 AM

you sir... have good taste.

wlfwalleye

QuoteAlphairon - 8/11/2011  1:47 PM

So, Kyle, what kind of pipe tobacco should a full-bodied maduro fan get for a pipe...if he had a pipe?

I like GLP's Robusto
http://www.marscigars.com/glp-robusto.aspx

I have been smoking alot of Cornell & Diehl's Billy Budd
http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/cornell-diehl/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=66083

Bicho

guess i'll figure it out on my own! :-(
Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.

Mark Twain

Hot Stuff x

Ken:  I don't think I'd try to smoke the tobacco they used as cushioning for cigars.  But on the other hand, go ahead and give it a try!

Sam:  There are a few pipers here, but not many.  I have a decent pipe arsenal but haven't been using them lately.  I keep meaning to break them out again...I think I need some new 'baccy to get me started again.

LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

sam a

QuoteBicho - 8/11/2011  12:32 PM

guess i'll figure it out on my own! :-(

here ya go... http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Pipe_Packing_and_Smoking_techniques lots of useful info there  :-)

horrido

Do meth and MJ pipes count? :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :-0
"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

mike46

I've tried the cigar packing stuff in a pipe, not much to report on that except I don't think I'd try again.  I used to smoke a pipe all the time back in the 70's then went on and off for many years.  Cigars are better because I find pipes are too much like chewing tobacco, too easy to access and to spit out a wad or put down a pipe with a little tobacco left isn't a big thing.  A cigar is a bigger commitment for me and I won't consider one without 2 hours to spend with it.  I prefer pipes with smaller bowls just because of the reduced amount of tobacco.  Funny thing, last week my wife came across a pipe that I dragged home from my dad's place on the coast 14 years ago when he died.  It's pretty much brand new, made in France .... St. Claude, I checked them out on the internet, still a going concern in some small town.  It's a curvy as I used to call them lovely pipe with a stem that looks like amber marble.  I tried it, smokes and tastes nice but I find the stem too rigid and hard, it has very little give when biting down on it.  Must be a special model for horses that smoke and are hard on stems.

Hot Stuff x

Just smoked a bowl of GL Pease Montgomery in a Missouri Meerschaum American Patriot.   A good morning blend, mostly Virginia with a touch of Kentucky tobacco.
LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

cocon

Might need to pick up a bowl and take up the habit...... :rolleyes:
WOOOOO - Ric Flair

Train, say your prayers, and eat your vitamins - Hulk Hogan

sam a

Quotewlfwalleye - 8/11/2011  11:39 AM

my TAD has been flaring up bad too... this is this weeks additions to the cellar  :-)

hardeveningsuburb

QuoteHot Stuff x - 8/11/2011  6:18 PM

Just smoked a bowl of GL Pease Montgomery in a Missouri Meerschaum American Patriot.   A good morning blend, mostly Virginia with a touch of Kentucky tobacco.

I love Montgomery in a cob!  My preferred cob is the Missouri Pride, but I'm with you on the Montgomery.  Blew through a tin a while back and loved it.  I have a single unopened tin that's been aging for 16 months.  I'm not sure how long I'll let it cellar.  As far as Virginias go, I got really into the Stokkebye Twist Flake for a while.  Their Navy Flake was great too.  Blakeney's Best Bayou Slices from McClelland was another I smoked a lot of.  I like that blend because the Perique is more prominent than in other blends.  It wasn't overpowering, but it had a nice tang that I just couldn't get enough of.  

I can't wait for winter to get here so I can get out some G.L. Pease Westminster or Odyssey.  I love me some Latakia.   :biggrin:

EDIT: Oh, and if anybody wants to look through my meager cellar, just go here: http://tobaccocellar.org/open.php?cellar=1403
"After people get to know me, they all say I drink a lot of beer. I don't deny it either. Why should I? I'm not ashamed of beer." - Richard Brautigan

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.