summer beer and smoke pairing

Started by BigHop, 06/17/2014 12:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigHop

Picked up a case of a nice summer time Belgium beer.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/718/2477/

I want to pair it with a good mild/medium cigar. One of my favorites is a Hoyo De Monterrey Excalibur but I'm thinking of trying something new also. Any suggestions?

hebron

I smoked a Ashton this weekend, paired very nice with some light beer.
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

07streetbobryder

Sam Adams summer ale and a CAO Gold work well with each other, IMHO.

StogieDad

Try a Four Kicks by Crowned Heads.  Pairs nicely with crisp summer beers for me.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

ntanner

An Irish Red work's well with a decent medium bodied smoke for me but my preference is a Black IPA and a Ashton Aged Maduro.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

lubrix

I believe Olde English would pair well with any Victor Sinclair!.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

Ted

Quotelubrix - 7/6/2014  9:14 AM  I believe Olde English would pair well with any Victor Sinclair!.

Hey now, don't ruin a good 8 ball like that!   :dancing:

Otter

Quote07streetbobryder - 7/5/2014  11:12 PM

Sam Adams summer ale and a CAO Gold work well with each other, IMHO.

This is a good suggestion... The Illusione Epernay I am smoking would be good as well.
R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

cigarzinn

Sam Adams Porch Rocker with a Padilla Connecticut. Had that the other day and it was pretty good.

redjj

New Holland brewery Dragon's Milk.Its a  Bourbon Barrel Stout. Smoke with a Camacho triple maduro
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."  Albert Einstein

07streetbobryder

Another good combination, in my opinion, is Leinenkugels Summer Shandy and a Tatuaje 10th Anny.

Kevin48438

I haven't found any where the cigar or beer really enhances the other.   I just went through some of Shiner's White Wing, a Belgian White.   Nice summer beer.  I smoked an UC Corona Viva and a pre-General Cigar CAO MX2 with it.  And it was decent.  I enjoyed it all.

To me, when it comes to pairing with beer, I look for flavors that won't conflict.  Something that won't be redundant.   I think something like a sweet Camerron wrapper (i.e. don Carlos) would just wash out with the sweet, light beer.  

I haven't figured out pairing all that well yet, but what I have found so far that I like is:  a spicy bourbon or rye paied with a smooth maduro can get to a whole new level.  A smooth, mellow rum works nicely with a spicy or twangy cigar like a lot of. Tat, LFD, or DPG.   I guess I'm looking for something that raises the complexity of flavors without overpowering any of them too much.  If I get the right match, it's almost magical.   I've yet to have the magic with beer.  But it's fun to keep trying!   I'll see if I can find some of these suggestions.
"I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

"There are two things worth living for, one is a good cigar, the other is a better one." - Unknown

nwb

I'm with you, Kevin.  Although I don't drink beer very much anymore, when I did, I couldn't find any pairings that really enhanced either the beer or the cigar. :confused:
Chief of Shaft

wlfwalleye

They make other types of beer?

The Burn Ward

Quotewlfwalleye - 7/8/2014  1:54 PM

They make other types of beer?

They make other types of cigars?  :biggrin:

Cigary

And then there is Quesada Oktoberfest Cigars that were made especially to smoke with beer....if that does't sell it nothing will.

The Burn Ward

QuoteCigary - 7/8/2014  3:01 PM

And then there is Quesada Oktoberfest Cigars that were made especially to smoke with beer....if that does't sell it nothing will.

Yeah, it's not a bad pairing. Ever tried an Epernay with Champagne?

The Burn Ward

QuoteThe Burn Ward - 7/8/2014  3:15 PM

QuoteCigary - 7/8/2014  3:01 PM

Or a Headley Grange with Led Zeppelin?

Mojo66

Quotenwb - 7/8/2014  12:51 PM  I'm with you, Kevin.  Although I don't drink beer very much anymore, when I did, I couldn't find any pairings that really enhanced either the beer or the cigar. :confused:

With you on that. I most of the time would rather have water than a beer with my cigars.

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

The Burn Ward

QuoteMojo66 - 7/8/2014  3:18 PM

Quotenwb - 7/8/2014  12:51 PM  I'm with you, Kevin.  Although I don't drink beer very much anymore, when I did, I couldn't find any pairings that really enhanced either the beer or the cigar. :confused:

With you on that. I most of the time would rather have water than a beer with my cigars.

I can't seem to ever find any water, so I reach for a beer. :biggrin:  :beer:

StogieDad

QuoteThe Burn Ward - 7/8/2014  3:30 PM

I can't seem to ever find any water, so I reach for a beer. :biggrin:  :beer:

:bigthumbs:  My brother!
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Rebecca Silverwolf

Perdomo Habano in either the Connecticut or Corojo. CAO Criollo. Romeo y Julieta Habana Reserve.
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Cigary

QuoteThe Burn Ward - 7/8/2014  3:17 PM  
QuoteCigary - 7/8/2014  3:01 PM  And then there is Quesada Oktoberfest Cigars that were made especially to smoke with beer....if that does't sell it nothing will.

There are so many good pairings with cigars....I've actually come down with about 5 different libations with certain cigars as certain types of drinks just bring out the flavor of some of the more complex cigars.  Drambuie goes with any cigar I've ever had...the sweetness of it will take down any strong cigar that would otherwise overpower our sense of taste.  It enhances the smoke until it is much like it was stored in oak casks.....Amarula on the other hand will take a cigars smoke and make it where the finish lasts longer....adds some sweet cocoa taste  which with some cigars makes them so much better.  As far as beer goes with cigars....I'll go with a very malty beer like a Dogfish Head....hoppy beers for me tend to over power the smoke from a cigar.

The Burn Ward

QuoteCigary - 7/8/2014  7:11 PM

QuoteThe Burn Ward - 7/8/2014  3:17 PM  
QuoteCigary - 7/8/2014  3:01 PM  And then there is Quesada Oktoberfest Cigars that were made especially to smoke with beer....if that does't sell it nothing will.

There are so many good pairings with cigars....I've actually come down with about 5 different libations with certain cigars as certain types of drinks just bring out the flavor of some of the more complex cigars.  Drambuie goes with any cigar I've ever had...the sweetness of it will take down any strong cigar that would otherwise overpower our sense of taste.  It enhances the smoke until it is much like it was stored in oak casks.....Amarula on the other hand will take a cigars smoke and make it where the finish lasts longer....adds some sweet cocoa taste  which with some cigars makes them so much better.  As far as beer goes with cigars....I'll go with a very malty beer like a Dogfish Head....hoppy beers for me tend to over power the smoke from a cigar.

I'm not a fan of Drambuie. I've found Irish Cream, Kahlua, White Russian and Sambuca do pair well. As for beer; a good stout or Russian Imperial stout along with many Ale variations (Golden Ale, Trappist, Belgian, Dubbel, Flanders, Scotch) all pair nicely. Most Pale Ales and IPA's tend to have higher IBU's and don't mesh well with a fine cigar.

I'll give the Amarula a shot ;-)

The Burn Ward

I've had many libations from the Unibroue organization and most have paired nicely with a cigar. Give it another shot! Maybe a Trois Pistoles with a Camacho Corojo or a La Fin Du Monde with a Tatuaje Black Petite lancero?

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.